Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design Regression from 2011

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
250 Views, 3 Replies

Copy Design Regression from 2011

There has been some regression in Vault 2012 as compared to Vault 2011.  Granted this issue that I am about to describe was with 2011 with all of the "Multi-Issue" hotfixes.  Not sure exactly which one caused this behaviour.  But this was very favourable.

Here is how it worked in 2011:

In the Copy Design, we were not allowed to copy a part that was derived into another part unless all of the parts were also copied. 

Before the 2011 multi issue hotfixes were applied and in 2012, you can copy the derived component and NOT copy all of the parts that it was used in.  What this will do is change the referenced file for parts unintentionally.

See the screen shot below from 2012

copy_design_regression.png

In this screen shot, I chose to copy the 221-014.iam, the 221-010-wa, and the 221-Layout.ipt.  Notice that in the 221-010-ah and 221-057, the 221-layout is also copied, but the parts themselves are not.  The problem that this causes is that if the parameters in the 221-Layout (which will eventually have a new name) are changed, it will change these parts, which were not copied.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: karthur1

Hi,

I think this is working correctly. Please note that Copy Design is not Instance Based. That is when you set "221-Layout.ipt" to copy, all instances of that file in the copy design dialog will be set to copy. You cannot have one set as reuse and another set as copy.

Hope that helps you.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil,

I see what you are saying that it copies ALL instances of the 221-Layout, but that is the problem.

In this case, the 221-010-ah.ipt is already used in a design and should NOT be changed (it is still set to reuse). When the Copy Design is complete, it changes the derived part referenced in the 221-010-ah to 221-Layout (2).  Now when 221-Layout (2) changes, the 221-010-ah also changes, which is not the way it should be.

The way that I remember it working, was that in order to copy the referenced file, all of the parts that uses the referenced file had to be set to "copy". Otherwise, it would not allow the state remain on reuse for the referenced file.  This would prevent any unintentional changes to the parts.  I am on Vault 2012 now, but when I was on Vault 2011 I could have sworn that I seen this behaviour after one of the Hotfixes because I was impressed that it was working the way.  I dont know if this is the "best" way to do it or not, but this is technically correct because if the referenced part is changed, then the part that uses it should have a new number.  The "Best" solution would be to allow us to choose if we wanted the referenced file copied or reused OR be able to change the referenced file in Inventor (maybe that is a different topic).

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
achintam
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for the feedback.  We will look into this in future.  However, I would like get more information from you on this topic.  Can you please send an e-mail to my firstname.lastname@autodesk.com?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report