Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design only reuses file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tfwBloomEng
935 Views, 5 Replies

Copy Design only reuses file

Im trying to copy design an assembly but one of the files cant be copied, only reused. The file is linked to in most of the other files of the assembly, could that be the issue? Is there anything else that might cause a file to not want to be copied?

Thank you for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tfwBloomEng
in reply to: tfwBloomEng

probably should add that this is in basic vault 2015
Message 3 of 6
tfwBloomEng

can anyone tell me what might be causing it or if more information would be needed?

Message 4 of 6
tfwBloomEng

So I created a blank part and put all of the linked dimentions for every part in the assembly as user parameters, then linked all the parameters to that master file. The part that I had an issue with can now be copied for the copy design but the master file can't.

Im thinking that there is a max number of exported parameters or a max number of times a file can be linked before it can only be reused and not copied. Does anyone know which it would be and what that max number would be?

Message 5 of 6
tfwBloomEng

it doesn't seem like anyone from Autodesk wants to help (great customer service Autodesk... especially with this being the only place to get help) but I will continue to post what I find so the next poor soul who has this problem might be able to find this and fix their problem.

I moved the linked parameters to an excel file and linked all of the parts to the new excel file, and when I was done I had the same issue. However, I did check to see if the copy design would work half way through the process and the excel file could be copied, so it seems that the number of parameters is not the issue, but something to do with the number of parts linked to it.

Message 6 of 6
tfwBloomEng

I found the problem...

If you have an iPart linked to a file and using it's parameters, when you copy design an assembly you can only reuse that file, not copy it. This might not always be the case but I'm not looking more into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report