Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a reused part to a copied part in Vault

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
licensing
352 Views, 2 Replies

Converting a reused part to a copied part in Vault

How do you reassign a part file to act as a "copied" part instead of a "reused" or "referenced" part? Or is this even possible?

For example:  If I take an assembly file in Vault and copy design, I have the choice to also either copy the associated part files or reuse/reference them from their original location. So I copy some and then reuse the rest. Then in the middle of altering my new assembly I realize that I need to alter a reused part, but only for that new assembly, which, subsaquently, I will need to save with the new assembly and with a new part number.  How can I do this while leaving the original part file unaltered?

-J

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
swalton
in reply to: licensing

it will take several steps.

1. Copy design the old part in Vault to a new part.  Grab the part's idw at the same time.

2. Download the new part and drawing to your workspace.

3. Open the new assembly in Inventor and use the replace component command (ctrl-H or shift-ctrl-H or under the component item in the RMB menu) to replace the old part with the new one.

4. Edit the new part as required.

You can also use the save-and-replace command in Inventor, but you will have to manually create your drawing file for the new part.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 3
licensing
in reply to: swalton

That worked perfect! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report