Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center & Vault issues

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
VeronicaSmith5891
1641 Views, 9 Replies

Content Center & Vault issues

Our entire building (we share with a sister company) has Vault however our company is only allowed to use it read only.  If we create anything new we have to put it in our own Library.  But the content center has all the standard componets in it so it does get used constantly.  But when either myself or the other draftsperson creates a drawing and inserts components from vault I guess it puts the "copies" in the default C drive on each of our computers. 

The problem we are having is if I open a drawing that my coworker created it can't find the Vault components because I can't read his C drive.  Is there a way to direct these saved files to a shared drive/folder so we can easily work on each other's drawings? 

I looked in the help and other discussions but I am not sure if "Default Content Center Files" in Application Options is the location we are looking for.  We are both fairly new to 3D (myself more so then him) so it may be that I am just not understanding some of the terminology.  Can it be that easy just to change this location?

Thanks in advance for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Miquel
in reply to: VeronicaSmith5891

when you insert content center part's, the file is stored in a directory. This directory is configured from the IPJ, wihtin options content center folder. This directory must be accessible to all usersbecause the libraries are shared... 

Only works with a IPJ for all users. IPJ configure all workspaces

Message 3 of 10

I want my Custom Content Center Files to go in a location other than en-US on the Vault.  How do I change this location?

Message 4 of 10

Please Help!! How do I get Inventor to stop putting my custom Content Center parts in en-US in the Workspace and consequentially the VAULT!!!!

Message 5 of 10
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: dpaskman

Check your project file settings for Content Center and ensure your custom content center parts are configured to different folder than EN-US.

After that ensure your new folder (custom content center folder) is mapped to the folder you want in Vault.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 6 of 10

Not sure what you mean? There is no setting that configures content center to anything other than content center and the mapping to vault is content center to content center but everytime a new custom content center is created it maps to en-US. This despite the fact that there are no mappings sending it there.

Right now we are using a hybrid of en-US and our custom content until we have all our specific parts created.
Message 7 of 10

Reading your reply again: it makes even less sense:

Content Center Files = C:Workspace\Content Center Files

and that is mapped to $Content Center Files

Yet whether we create new content or copy content Inventor still wants to put it all in en-US!

Message 8 of 10
Senthil_Kumar

You can have only one Content Center Folder in a Project. So if you want to use your own custom content center files then place them in a Library Folder. You can have different Library Folder and they can be mapped to different folders in Vault.

Hope this helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 9 of 10

I played with it last night and kind of started to figure out that was the answer.  I have to tell you, as a user that has experienced other PLM solutions and trying not to be too negative, that the way that Autodesk has this set-up is awful.  I have used Intralink, Siemen's PLM, and Solidwork's Vault.  In comparison, to these programs Autodesk Vault is overly controlled and at the same time poorly thought out.  Because of this I would NEVER reccomend this program to anyone! 

Several key things to keep in mind as I see it are:

1.  I really don't have a problem with the idea of the project file if it was better thought out.  Everyone has some form of config file that governs behavior.  If the project file were more like these and let you just point to the right locations (Vault, Style files, Content Center, Library,etc it would be fine.  It should, however, give you more flexibility than it does.  In allowing you to point to multiple content center folders (or just one you can sub-divide), and multiple libraries (which it does or just one you can sub-divide which it does somewhat), and multiple project locations (general read-write) locations (which it doesn't) than it would be fine.

2.  How ridiculous is it that you cannot copy out of a Library location!!  Have you guys at Autodesk ever actually talked to any of your customers?  We want to do something that is totally typical of most companies.  We want some template starting points in our library (they are our 'standard' parts) but often jobs require some customizations for that application.  We would like our project engineers to be able to copy a standard out of the library to their project folder (as a starting point) and customize it their to their needs.  We want this "library" to be read only to most and writable by a few librarians.  This way we keep the starting point clean without constant monitoring.  When the Vault has the ability to control this read-write capacity there is absolutely no reason to have the project file "rethink" and redundantly control this.  Intralink controls this by the user permissions, so does Solidworks Vault and so does Siemens PLM.  Who at Autodesk though it would be a great idea to invent a "square" wheel!! Of course it is also ludicrous to have engineers not be able to copy designs from here.

3.  How many ridiculous warning boxes do you need.  If a person checks out a member of a family table let them know it is a good idea to check out the whole family to keep the links alive and give them the opportunity to do it there.  So when they check it in their will be no out of dates.

4. Having three different project files of which two have to be removed from Vault (after use) is a ridiculous "sham" patch to fix functionality that should be there in the first place.  I am of course referring to the "library editor" project file to make changes, updates, and additions to library files.  I am also referring to the "Copy Design" project file that allows yout to copy library files out of library to custom designs.

5.  Would anyone except your team of programmers want to name their content center folder "en-US".  If you were going to not allow proper sub-division of Content Center than why put that second level there at all!  Do your really think that many companies are going to use your product for multi-national collaboration  (to want en-US, Japan, China, etc language subdivisions) when it works this poorly?

Long and short of this is that from my experience, so far, Inventor was an afterthought for Autodesk and I guess they still don't take themselves seriously in this market since they have redundancies in Inventor that make it not work well with Vault.  That's ashame since most user already are parameteric primary and 2-D secondary.  Part of that world is the ability to work revision control and configuration managment through a PDM solution that, hopefully, you can link to your MRP solution.  It's ashame you do not get this because your talking about a small amount of functionality added to your program that right now just provides a great selling stance to convince previous AutoCAD companies to use Solidworks or ProE instead!  Who is doing the thinking at Autodesk and are they talking to customers at all?

I will be able to resolve my issues with some bizarre work-arounds and some customizations to the way we use the Vault (not using library files and not using content center) instead I will make folders that contain these parts then just lock them down by my neutral, phantom Administrator log-in.  I can't reiterate enough how poorly thought out the Inventor-Vault link is and how embarrased I would be of the way this product works (if I ran this division)!!  You guys should be ashamed and I can tell from the message boards I am a member of the majority and not the minority on this thought!

I look forward to hearing if Autodesk's Vault team plans to work on fixing any of these obvious software flaws (not functionality: flaws)

Message 10 of 10
Madhan_T

Hi,

#2, Please refer the following link.

http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blogs/blog/view/5/copy_design_libraries/

Regards,

Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report