Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consuming two licenses for 2013 Inventor Add-In and 2014 Client

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
steveh4
878 Views, 11 Replies

Consuming two licenses for 2013 Inventor Add-In and 2014 Client

We are running Inventor 2013 (going to 2014 in a few months), and have 2014 ADMS installed on server. We want to use 2014 Vault Client, but It appears that if you are accessing between two different clients or add-ins, that each consumes a Vault license for each.

Can anybody confirm this double license consumption?

Thank you,

Steve Hilvers

Inventor---Vault Professional
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
minkd
in reply to: steveh4

It is not supposed to consume two licenses.

Recently a problem like this has come to my attention and it was related to ipv4 vs ipv6 hostname resolution. In the case I heard about, the 32-bit 2013 client was resolving to ipv4, while the 64-bit 2014 client was resolving to ipv6. You can see if that is the case by looking in the AVFS log. If it is the case, you can fix it by disabling ipv6.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12
steveh4
in reply to: minkd

I suspected that this was the case...I logged out of the Vault Client and out of the Inventor Add-In, then logged back into both. So, am I consuming two or three licenses based on the attached screen shot?

Message 4 of 12
steveh4

So...out of the six options to change the ipv6 reg setting. Which one should I choose? It's set to b) (0xffffffff) right now...

Message 5 of 12
minkd

This does not look like the ipv6 problem.

In your case, the last two entries shown in the AVFS log screenshot have different ipv4 addresses and the one before those two shows the same license handle as the next one.

In the case where the ip address is different, the server will considered it a different client host so another license will be consumed. Do you have multiple network cards on the client machine or have multiple network addresses configured?

I'm not sure how the duplicate license handle case came about, but it implies that an extra license was not obtained. What does the license manager log show in terms of licenses going OUT. You can correlate them by time.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 12
steveh4

172.16.2.61 is the licensing server where ADMS and Flex LM reside.

172.16.31.20 is my workstation.

It appears that the Flex LM log only shows one going out...but if I look at the AVFS log, it consumes two...see screenshot...

Only have one network card on machine...all workstations are doing this. Time for a support request?

Message 7 of 12
minkd

The FlexLM log is always going to be the most accurate in terms of how many licenses are out - since it is the one who actually hands them out.

Are you using the "Vault Office" client (a web-client with additional features such as checkin/checkout)?  If so, those licenses are entirely seperate from the license you obtain from a CAD add-in or the Vault Explorer client.  That would also explain why the IP address showin the AVFS log is of the server machine.

But feel free to open a support case as that ensures the issue will be tracked.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 12
steveh4

I was provided two solutions from support...which of neither worked...still consuming twice the licenses.

"The two workarounds we know of at this time are:

1) to login to one client using server name, and the other client using the ip address,

2) or disable IPv6.  "

If we use the same release client and Add-In, it only consumes one.

Message 9 of 12
minkd

What was the case #?

You mentioned that the license manager only shows 1 license being used.  If that is the case then you are only consuming 1 license regardless of what the vlog says.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 12
steveh4

Yes...but we were told by support to use the latest client (2014), but still wanted to use Inventor 2013 which would use the 2013 add-in. That would consume two licenses.

We went back and kept using 2013 client with the 2013 add-in, and it resolves the issue. So, in other words, the client and add-in must be the same release in order to only consume one license.

Message 11 of 12
Maxim-CADman77

I suppose this behaviour is new for ADMS2014.

We are used to use VE13 and Inventor 2012 for quite a long period and never suffer double-licensing issue...

Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I have the very same problem in my customer's site. They're still using IV 2013 while the ADMS was upgraded to 2014 version. Nothing I can do to fix the double consuming licenses with the scheme. So, I made suggestion to use IV 2013 with VP 2013 Client, or they can upgrade their IV to 2014 version and then they can use VP 2014 Client.

The IV 2013 add-on seems to send a different host name to the server and it's different from the host name that was sent by VP 2014 Client. That's why it took two licenses. Couldn't do anything about it though. *sigh* I've tried to instal SP1, SP1 Update 1 & Update 2, Hotfixes, no luck.

Now we decided to upgrade the IV to 2014 version. I don't feel good with this, btw.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report