Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Name Got Renamed

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
panzilte
1701 Views, 13 Replies

Computer Name Got Renamed

About a week ago my IT department renamed my work station to a 12 character name. 

For example 

Old Name: LENL000ABC

New Name: LENL00000ABC

It is still the same workstation but now I am having issues with files that I had checked out before the workstation name rename.  Vault thinks that my workstation is a different workstation and does not allow me to check in these files.  Is there any way to get vault to update/change the computer name from the old to the new?  Or is there a way to remove the computer name from the check out files?

Vault Pro 2013

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: panzilte

Ooof.  Not as far as I know, don't think you'll be able to check them back in from that PC.

Here's a workflow which might help, it changes depending on if you've made changes to the files since you checked them out (please pay attention to what's in bold, else you could end up with lost work):

If you've changed the files since checkout:

1) Log into Vault Client.

2) Select all checked out files > Undo Checkout.  Don't delete the local files, keep them in your working folder.  Create a copy of your workspace just incase.

3) Select all the files again that were checked out > Check them out.  But don't download the files, untick the box that instructs Vault to download them.  The idea is to check them out but not overwrite what is in your workspace.

4) Open the files in CAD, check them back in.

If you haven't changed the files since checkout:

1) Log into Vault Client.

2) Select all checked out files > Undo Checkout.  Delete the local files.

3) If that doesn't work or you don't have rights, log in as an Administrator (if possible) and select the files > click the file menu > file control > remove reservation.

Couple of options there, kinda depends on your circumstances as to what you've done with the files since the checkout.  

Message 3 of 14
tmoney2007
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Final Step:

Get someone to talk to your IT group and tell them not to do that kind of stuff without warning (Alternately, if they warned you, check your files in at the end of the day).
Message 4 of 14
Neil_Cross

Yep, if they did that to my PC heads would roll.  But most IT staff know better than to do that without any warning or notice, that's either bad communication or too much of a blasé yolo attitude towards IT systems.

If the thought of renaming the Vault server ever crosses their mind, smack that out of them! In fact, put 10 post-it notes on their desk saying never ever ever rename the Vault server!

Hope you get it sorted.

Message 5 of 14
tmoney2007

Choose your own threat but I like to use "I will end you" and then if they do it, feel free to sprinkle some "you're not much good to me alive..." into conversation as needed for the rest of their time at the company.
Message 6 of 14
panzilte

Not really the answer I was looking for.  I have nearly 300 files checked out.  I can undo the checkout on quite a few but not on all.  I was hoping that there was a method where I could change ownership of the checkout of a file to the new computer (even though it is the old computer). Like a re-check out or change computer ownership but I guess that's is another area where Autodesk Software falls short.  Thanks for you help everybody.

Message 7 of 14
tmoney2007

Ask them to temporarily rename your computer back so that you can check them all in.
Message 8 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tmoney2007

Yea rename it back if that's an option, just make sure you check in anything that you've checked out since it was renamed!

If you can gather all 300 files together in one search results list, you can undo the checkout in mass bulk from there.  Then hack the checkout on any that won't undo using the remove reservation option.  If you have 300 files checked out I'm assuming most of those files are in the same structure, so you could initiate most of this from a top level and have the undo/check-in operation filter down.

But like tmoney above suggested, if you can rename it back temporarily that would save you a load of hassle.  It takes the time of a single PC reboot to rename a PC, as opposed to hours and hours of wasted productivity p*ssing about and getting yourself irate.  It's a no brainer tbh, if they refuse then tmoney came up with some other good suggestions.  

Or tell the IT Manager or Systems Director that you've lost a couple of days of productivity, costing the company X amount, all because the lazy IT boy can't be chuffed to reboot a PC... 

Message 9 of 14
tahdesign1

I agree renaming the PC back while you solve the issue is the best solution.

Although the first solution put forth by Neil would work also and would not be that bad since you could do a search in Vault Explorer for all the files checked out to that machine to get them let go in mass.

I believe the biggest take away here, and something I tell may users all the time, is to check yourself FULLY in at the end of the day.

I want to see clean workspace at the end of the day (and I wish you could make it take the empty directories with it also).

Then of course we are a bit different than others where I am the only one that has a Workstation on my desk. Because of security reasons, we work in a CAD Lab style of environment where you could be sitting at a different workstation each day. So checking Fully in at the end of the day means that you can then sit where ever the next day and pull down your work to that station.

Also I back up my server NOT my workstations.

Message 10 of 14
mlouisiana

We are experiencing the exact same problems at my company. IT wanted to standardize all computer names so they could more easily maintain the machines.  Why in the world does Autodesk use the computer name anyways?  We have Inventor Vault login names with passwords that never change.  Seems to me it would be much more logical for Autodesk to use that instead of the computer name....

Message 11 of 14
panzilte
in reply to: mlouisiana

Mlouisiana,

I am just venting here.  I often call using Autodesk products an excerise in frustration.  Things like this issue, assembly flexibilty in Inventor, needing to use Vault in a multi user enviroment or even Autodesk not fixing the standard ANSI borders for drawings in Inventor only add to one's stress level at work.  The worst part is that issues are never addressed or fixed, and Autodesk does not seem to care.  If it would be up to me then my company would not be using any autodesk products.

Message 12 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mlouisiana

I suspect there's technical reasons why the PC name must be logged by Vault, but from a face value perspective, a checkout will send files out of the Vault and to a PC.  I guess there needs to be a record of where those files went to and which PC is currently changing them, there's been a few occasions where I've needed to know the PC name that a file has been sent to.  I agree it it can be restrictive to have such limitations with regards to enforcing the files on that PC though, in that they can only be checked back in from that PC name.  

I'm sorry in advance as I know it's probably the wrong people to say it to, but most Vault users won't ever encounter this problem so it's kinda uncommon Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 14
tmoney2007

It's a data integrity thing. If you check a file out from your account on a particular computer, it is assumed that you will be making changes to the file on that computer. If it allowed you to check that file in from your account on another computer, you could inadvertantly lose the changes that you made on the original computer.

It's a bumper for people that aren't dilligent with their check ins.

Message 14 of 14
tahdesign1

Here a twist to this that I have avoided at this point.

There is a push here to make everything be virtual machine.

All of the regular LAN terminals have gone that way but not CAD workstations at this point.

I do not think they can deliver the power over the wire that I need so I think that is a long way off.

However, I do have a group with plain Acad on virtual LAN terminals. Something happened on the server and the system auto rebuilt the terminals with new names. Then when Acad was run again it reauthorized that seat to a new pc number (this was standalone software). So basically it messed up my usage count. Because of this virtualization coming down the pipe I changed most of my ADSK seats to networking before this years dead line.

So just think of the mess this would make it these were Vault machines with checked out files!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report