Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkout from Item should allow me to select attachments, right?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
DonovanCox
562 Views, 12 Replies

Checkout from Item should allow me to select attachments, right?

I'm using the item master as a project organizer for AutoCAD files. Create a new project, then go to attchments, close it save it done. Now I should be able to go to the Get/Checkout with the Item and select the attchmants option to get/checkout the files in the item, but no files show up when I do this. 

2013-06-24_1718.png

2013-06-24_1719.png

2013-06-24_1721.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
DonovanCox
in reply to: DonovanCox

This is Vault Pro 2014, no patches or service packs. 

Message 3 of 13
cbenner

From what I can tell just in playing with it for a few minutes, attachments are not considered to be "associated" files of the item.  So, no... they are not available for Get\Checkout from Item Master.  Items should be assigned from the files in Project Explorer.  

Message 4 of 13
mikel_martin

The attachments in this dialog are for anything attached to the files.

When you select an Item and perform a Get/Checkout we just treat it as if you had directly selected the file assigned to the Item.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: mikel_martin
Message 6 of 13
mikel_martin
in reply to: cbenner

Anything that shows up as an attachment in Vault when you select the file.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 13
DonovanCox

Mikel, will this issue be addressed then? 

Message 8 of 13
mikel_martin

I am a little confused about what you are asking.

If you selected an Item, the file that is linked to the Item (primary CAD file) should be included in the Get/Checkout.

If when you select that file in Vault you see an attachment but you dont get that attachment in the Get/Checkout then that seems to be a defect in Get/Checkout.

Is that the behavior you are seeing?

From your previous post it seemed that you have files attached to the Item that you selected. This is not the use case that Get/Checkout was deisgned to handle when selecting an Item.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 13
DonovanCox

I have files attached to an item, when I perform get/checkout none of the attached items are listed. There is no primary cad file because the item is a stand alone object in this case, it's representing a single project that could have multiple drawing files, not individual files. 

Message 10 of 13
mikel_martin

I see... that is not really the premirary use case that we designed this functionality for.

Typically when customers use Items they intend to work with CAD files linked to the Items, and the Item represents the Bill of Material for the CAD data.

I am curisous why you would use an Item for this case to organize your data into a project?

Are you aware that Vault has a concept of Project?

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 13
DonovanCox

Because we needed a "Master Vault" and  "Work in Progress Vault" areas. This couldn't be done with Non XREF DWG files in one Vault so we wound up creating 2 vaults. In the "Master" I need to be able to gather up a group of drawings, and then send them to the project side so that the drafters could work on them. The reason for 2 areas is that a drawing may be serviced in 2 different initiatives, and we needed an editable version in each project. 

Originally we were going to try and use "Copy Design"  to copy files from the "Master" to WIP but it won't copy more then 1 individual DWG without XREFS at a time, and we were working with anywhere from 10 - 200 drawings in each project. 

Next we looked at using custom objects, which while we could live with the copy & paste link(RMB send to Custom Object would be nice) once we had a collection of drawings, there was no way to "Pack and Go" the files. I wound up stumbling over using the Item master for this, it's rough and ugly but it does most of the job. I can create a "Project" Item, attach drawings, then "Pack and go" that out of the "Master" vault, then check those files into a project specific folder in WIP. Now where I need to be able to check out the attached DWGS is on the return, I need to be able to check out some or all of the Items attached DWGS, and then over right them with the ones updated over in the project so the project files can be checked in. 

This is a plant type facility, and some areas show up on multiple drawings, and two projects may be out and affect the same drawing. 

Message 12 of 13
cbenner

I think that's where I got confused... I wasn't quite sure how Vault handled files that were manually attached to the Item.  Also wasn't sure why you would want to manually attach files to an Item that way.

Message 13 of 13
mikel_martin

I would really like to understand this use case better and maybe give some suggestions on how you might better acheive your goal.

I you are willing to discuss further send me an with your contact information.

mikel.martin@autodesk.com

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report