Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check out updated parts in assemblies and subassemblies

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jon.overbeek
759 Views, 4 Replies

Check out updated parts in assemblies and subassemblies

I have a large assembly containing multiple sub-assemblies that multiple enginners are working on.  When changes are made to parts they are checked back into the Vault for updating.  However, when I check out/Open the main assembly and view the Vault browse in Inventor the updated parts show as needing updating.  Why do messages come up about needing to check in these parts when I try to save the assembly and check it back in even thought I did not make changes to parts?  I do have some ilogic rules in place.  Could that cause the update flag to get set?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Neil_Cross
in reply to: jon.overbeek

That can frequently happen if you have an old copy of the assembly in your local workspace and have some of the Vault prompts suppressed which usually appear during the open.

Best way to verify that is to look at the prompts and set them to always prompt, completely clear your workspace and open the assembly in Inventor using 'Open from Vault'.

That's the basic first thing to try, if you have iLogic rules getting in the way then it could be a deeper more complicated issue.

Message 3 of 5
jon.overbeek
in reply to: Neil_Cross

We did try clearing out the working folder before executing the open and parts still show with an asterick.  I will double check the prompts.  We do get a prompt indicating that some parts are not checked out and would we like to when we open the top assembly.  We don't really want to check out individual parts because we are not changing them any further and we don't want extra versions created in the Vault.  

Message 4 of 5
Neil_Cross
in reply to: jon.overbeek

Sorry, I just read your post again more carefully.

I think you've stumbled across one of problematic aspects of using Inventor & Vault.  Although they're designed to work together, it isn't perfect at all.  

Seeing the 'needs saved (*)' flag on files that you haven't explicitly changed is a daily occurrence in most drawing offices and one of the biggest time wasting nuisance problems I've personally ever had to deal with.  

It's hard to explain but there a number of events that can happen in Inventor, that should then send a message to Vault, but it doesn't.  This results in Inventor 'dirtying' your files without asking you to check them out first, it had to do whatever it's done but did it without asking Vault first.

A good typical example of this is when you open an assembly from Vault.  Inventor may ask you "blah blah blah, Would you like to update the assembly now?".  If you select yes and Inventor needs to update child parts that aren't checked out, it may go ahead and update those parts and dirty them without ever asking you to check anything out.  You're then left in a mess, you can't save them as they're not checked out, you can't check in your assembly as the parts need saved, but you can't save them! Ridiculous circle of doom that has wasted days of my own time.

This has been communicated to the development team very clearly, I've previously sent them clear video instructions on how to reproduce this happening which they confirmed is a problem, but it's never been resolved properly.

So if that's the problem you're having, there's often very little you can do about it.  Try saying no to updating assemblies on open, update them manually as you then do get the checkout prompt.  Use the model browser to filter and show modified files only so you can see what needs saved and check them out from there.  It's also highly probably that iLogic rules could be modifying files depending on what they are, but Inventor isn't asking you to check them out as it should do.

Sorry that's not much help but it's a problem you have pretty much no choice but to work around and deal with.

Message 5 of 5
jon.overbeek
in reply to: Neil_Cross

You say there are a number of Inventor events that should send info back to the Vault but don't.  Is there a top 5 list of those events?  Or maybe just a couple we could use for additional testing?  Also, are there any common Vault events that would trigger the update needed flag when opening an assembly?  Thanks for the help.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report