Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-in time

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
417 Views, 6 Replies

Check-in time

We are noticing (or just now noticing) that the check-in time does not jive with the actual time. It can vary from 60 minutes to 3 hours. Local system and server both are displaying correct time. Can this cause any problems or is it something that can be ignored? Thnaks, David Russell QED, Inc.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the time on the server machine set to the times you are getting in the CheckInDate field? If I'm not mistaken, I think that the check in time is determined by the server machine. It's the time that the new version was physically created on the server in the server's time. Is this what you are seeing? To answer your other question: "could this be a problem?"; Possibly, In trying to determine if a file is out-of-date on the local machine it's possible that a "future" time (server's clock is ahead of client's clock) might give incorrect information. Other than that, I can't think of where this might cause harm. Maybe Brian Roepke has some other ideas. Brian?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Ken is correct - it is based on the server time. You should not have an issue with this since it is driven by the server and not the individual client times. (e.g. if the clients are out of sync as far as time goes this shouldn't have an impact on the vault) One thing the vault does not account for (due to a windows bug) is Daylight Savings Time - in other words, during the summer the time will appear to be 1 hour off (unless where you live doesn't use DST). All times are calculated off of GMT and backed into your time zone - that way if you have people working on a vault in different geographies 6:00 AM in Oregon is not the same as 6:00 AM in England. This doesn't effect the vault either it is really a presentation of the date and time in the vault explorer. (they are stored correctly on the server) -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I don't see as it is causing any problems but I need to point out that the server time is set correctly and is the same as the client. As for DST the time differential between the check-in time and the server time is not exactly 60 minutes. This particular time it was 66 minutes. It has been as much as 3 hours so it varies.It doesn't seem to be creating any problem. Think about this scenario: Check out a file at 2:00pm Make a change Check back in at 2:15 but VE says it was checked -in 66 minutes earlier than it was checked out. Isn't it checking in a files that is older than the one checked out? It must be seeing the same time anomoly on check-out. Is there a way to see the check-out time? I suppose this is not a problem but it seems to have potential!!!! -- David Russell QED, Inc. "Brian Roepke (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40ed9c54$1_3@newsprd01... > Ken is correct - it is based on the server time. You should not have an > issue with this since it is driven by the server and not the individual > client times. (e.g. if the clients are out of sync as far as time goes this > shouldn't have an impact on the vault) > > One thing the vault does not account for (due to a windows bug) is Daylight > Savings Time - in other words, during the summer the time will appear to be > 1 hour off (unless where you live doesn't use DST). All times are > calculated off of GMT and backed into your time zone - that way if you have > people working on a vault in different geographies 6:00 AM in Oregon is not > the same as 6:00 AM in England. This doesn't effect the vault either it is > really a presentation of the date and time in the vault explorer. (they are > stored correctly on the server) > > -- > Thanks, > > Brian Roepke > Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 5 of 7
Mark_Wigan

hi guys,

i can start a new thread if you prefer but we are seeing intermittent issues between sites where users cannot always consistently get access to files through vault explorer (version 2012 collab on replicated servers 2008R2) . in this case one plant is on DST and the other 3 are not.

recently i had to change the time on the 3 servers that are not in a DST zone to make sure it was same as all users workstations that were using the correct (non DST) time. after that, everything was fine but now our 4th plant that lives in the DST zone is showing the issues.

any advice or tips to overcome this? i can only think of one solution but i don't really want to change the server and users time settings on one site to match the other 3 sites.

thanks.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 6 of 7
minkd
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Checkin time is important.

As has been mentioned, all timestamps are determined on the server and stored in UTC time (same as GMT).  We convert them to the local time on the server before returning them to the client. The SOAP protocol (which we use for client/server communication) converts the timestamps from server local time to client local time for presentation.

For everything to work right, the client & server clocks should not be off by much. I recommend using a NTP-based service like the Windows Time service to keep the clocks in sync.  It is also very important that the timezone is set correctly on the server (to whatever timezone the server physically resides), and for best results the timezone should be set correctly on the clients (for proper presentation).

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: minkd

thanks Dave

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report