Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check in Error

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Myles1
1316 Views, 13 Replies

Check in Error

I am trying to check in an assembly that I have been working on for quite some time, and has been checked in many times without issue.  I am now getting the following error  message...

Your files could not be added to the Vault for the following reasons:

[ERROR] The file 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Textures\surfaces\272.bmp' is outside the defined search paths.  You must either move the file into one of the defined search paths or add a new Library Search Path to continue.

I have no idea what part, if any, is using this bmp.  I have search this forum for similar issues, and some solutions say to break the link using the "links" button on the tools ribbon.  However, this button is greyed out on this assy. 

I have copied this particular bmp file directly into the location of the assy, and that didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions are welcome, I have tried everythig I can think of.

Inv 2011

Vault 2011

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ryan
in reply to: Myles1

"I have copied this particular bmp file directly into the location of the assy, and that didn't seem to work."

Rename the file in the original location and then repoen the assembly - Inventor may still be finding the original file and not your new copy in the IAM directory.

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan

I encountered the same problem though it is in a part level. It did not solve the problem by renaming the file.

I am still looking for an answer. How do you break the link? Smiley Frustrated

Thanks,

Jerome

Message 4 of 14
olearya
in reply to: Anonymous

HI Jerome, 

Make sure you check on the Inventor forum too.  In previous releases of Inventor (before the beak link command) there was a VB script posted to one of the Inv blog sites that removed links, but I can no longer find it.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: olearya

I'm a bit late to the party here so I dunno if this has been suggested and tried already, and it kinda depends on how the link was established, if it's in a sketch somewhere then this may not work.

But have you tried going into this bit within the file that has the problem and seeing if the bmp is shown there? You can break links here:

Links.png

Message 6 of 14
loesche1
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jerome!

We were facing the same issue with a special BMP-file. I've written the attached VBA Skript to delete that link from the IPT. The skript is looking for that special BMP-name, but you can also type in a different filename. Or you just modify the skript to your needs...

Regards,

Lars

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Its never too late Neil. That worked like a charm. Smiley Happy

Thank you very much!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: loesche1

Thank you Lars,

I will learn to use that script if I encountered more challenging Errors.

Regards,
Jerome
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: olearya

Thank you Allan for the suggestion 🙂
Message 10 of 14
colbaltgal
in reply to: loesche1

Hello Lars,

I am very late to this party, but find that I am less knowledgeable than most.

It looks to me that this script would be the answer to a problem I am having.

Like the original postor, I had a check-in error come up quite suddenly in a large assembly that had been previously checked in and out successfully many times.

Here's the question: How does one load or run a this script in Inventor?

Obviously, you made it work.  I just need a tip as to how to do it! 

Thanks so much!  ~Dawn

Message 11 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: colbaltgal

Hi Dawn,

You might not need a script to fix that issue... the error is simply stating that your models are referencing an image file which isn't located in a folder on your PC that Vault has access to, or it can't find the image at all.

Do you know where the image is and which model it's used in? Normally for things like images, whoever set up your Vault should have created a library folder and mapped that into a Vaulted library folder, I can only assume that wasn't done, but it can be done after the event.

Throwing scripts around for stuff like this can be over kill, if you can figure out where the problem is it can be resolved quite easily

Message 12 of 14
colbaltgal

No, I don't know which model it's in. It's a fairly large assembly (for our company), and the problem arose quite suddenly.

PS. I am fine with Overkill if it would just allow me to get past this issue and check the darn files back in! 🙂
Message 13 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: colbaltgal

Well it looks like the problem is that somebody has referenced two images from the textures folder and linked them into part files.  As a first pass, try browsing to:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Textures\surfaces

Find the file in there called Metal_2.bmp and copy it to a folder in your local Vault workspace.  Do the same for:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Textures\bumpmaps and the file Metal_2_bump.bmp 

Once you've copied them into your local workspace, try renaming the originals so that Inventor can't use them, re-open your assembly it'll then ask you where they are and you can point it at the ones you copied into your workspace.  That should let you check in.

It's a bit of a faff but essentially the problem is because Inventor is referencing a file which is located outside of the Vault workspace.  Moving those files into the workspace and eliminating the originals should get you around it.

Message 14 of 14
colbaltgal

Thanks for all of your help Neil.  I finally sorted it out, for now.    

** You were right about the more simple approach.

~Dawn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report