Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

check file size and folder size, to see where purging the database is necessary

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ckuester
2030 Views, 9 Replies

check file size and folder size, to see where purging the database is necessary

Hello,

is there a possiblity to show the size of imported data?

So i can find "the big files" and if possible eliminate unused/unimportant ones.

A hint to big files could be the datasize of the folder, but i can t see the foldersize within the form.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Greetings

christian

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ckuester

Please specify which version of Vault your are currently using?

Message 3 of 10
ckuester
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello ,

we are using Vault Prof. 2013 Update1 Build 17.1.16.0

christian

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Right mouse click on the cells located in the main window pane and select Customize View.  Select Fields and scroll down to you locate the field called File Size.   Add it to the list and reorder as required.

Message 5 of 10
ckuester
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes , that works for files, but what about Folders? For me it is interesting to see where in our structure space can be saved or where do we need more space?!

Thanks

Christian

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I don't think you can see the overall vault folder (file) size like you can in Windows Exp...

Message 7 of 10
travistwinter

I know this is 5 Years too late, but i figured i'd give a solution for anyone else who goes looking

You can find the size of a folder in Autodesk Vault by using 1 of 2 methods (that i know of):

1. This is the simplest method

Simply right click on the folder and click "GET"

When vault goes to download the folder and its contents to your local machine, it will tell you how large it is

2. Slightly more complicated method

- Add the "File Size" column to your working area in vault

- Open the folder in question and search for "." (without quotes) This will bring up every sub folder and file

- Make sure you have all the files visible (if there is a large amount of files, you will have to click the "More" button at the bottom right hand corner of the vault working area. Keep clicking it untill all files are visible)

- Now click on File, Export and save the spreadsheet somewhere

- Open the spreadsheet you just created and delete everything except for the file sizes

- use Excel's "Sum()" Function to make a total of the file sizes (This total will be in Bytes)

- Note, if the Sum function doesn't work it's because the numbers are stored as text in each cell, to fix this, select all the cells that contain file sizes and if you scroll to the bottom of the cells you should see an exclamation mark next to the cells. Click it and select "Convert to Number". They should all convert to number cells and the Sum function should work.

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 10
mees.wools
in reply to: travistwinter

Hi Travis,

thank you for your solution!

i used the first "easy" method and it worked quite well.

I havent tried the second method, our Vault is getting pretty big and i didnt really feel like clicking "More" for 5 minutes.

No such thing as 5 years to late!

- Mees

Message 9 of 10
paul.gunn
in reply to: mees.wools

Another variation on (2) would be to do an advanced search on File Size > {some criteria} .

This would provide a list of files you might specifically care about.

Paul

Message 10 of 10
punisher
in reply to: travistwinter

Always worth mentioning for others searching for solutions.
John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report