Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Vault User Roles and Project settings created check in/out errors

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
beardrafting
471 Views, 4 Replies

Changing Vault User Roles and Project settings created check in/out errors

I've made some changes to User Roles in ADAMS and edited Project.ipj settings and now having trouble checking Inventor part files back in.

here's the back story...

We've been using Vault Basic 2014 to learn workflows before we invest in the upgraded versions. I originally assigned our three users all as Administrators Roles... not knowing how the other roles would limit us and that we are all learning/creating/editing the setup together.  Now that we have some general idea of whos doing what, I used the ADAMS to edit the user roles from Admin to Doc Editor(level 2) and created separate user accounts for Admin roles to edit templates, content center ect... I've also been slowing moving more things off of our shared networkdrive like Content Center and Libraries to the Vault and was about to do the same with local user Templates and styles.

In preparation for moving the templates i noticed that our individual Project.ipj were not exactly setup the same.. we basically had two versions with the same name in different spots on the server and thus had our Content Center and Libraries in different folder locations.

SO, I deleted all but one .ipj file on the server, downloaded to my machine, adjusted the folder settings, updated to the vault to pull it back on another machine so everyone was using the same .ipj file and same settings.

I also directed our Vault Basic browser to use that as default project and made sure all the folder pathers were matching Inventors

While i did this myself and another user had parts checked out. Now when I open a previously checked out  Part_1.ipt and I try to check it in, the checkout/in ribbon is grayed out and when I change from model tree to Vault tree on the left, it says the part is checked out by ME and my only option is to "UNDO CHECKOUT"

At some piont the Vault got confused that our User log in wasn't the exact same?

Undo Checkout worked ok for the few files I had because I knew the Vault versions were upto date. But the other user has the same problem and has a lot of changes that we don't want to lose.

I'm not sure what changes I made actually affected the Check in issue. I've tried to recreate the User Roles change with a "testuser" from Admin role to DocEdit role while parts were checked out but it hasn't created the same issue.

I'm not sure which part messed everything up.

Any suggestions on how to get the other user back to being able to check his models in without "Undo Checkout"??

thanks for the help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
minkd
in reply to: beardrafting

Modifying a users roles should not impact that user's ability to checkin (unless they no longer have a Document Editor Level 1 or Level 2 role).

However, the consolidation of the .ipj files may have altered where vault thinks the file should be.

Assuming the .ipj file is how you want it, try this out on one of the problematic files:

1) make a copy of the file that you have checked-out, but can't check-in.

2) undo the checkout, and then immediately check it out again (so no one else can get it).  Pay particular attention to where the file is downloaded.

3) Overwrite the file that vault downloaded with your copy from step 1.

4) Make sure everything resolves correctly in Inventor and checkin the file via the Inventor Vault add-in.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: beardrafting

If the local copy is the lastest version of this assembly, you could undo checkout and UNCHECK the Replace working copies box at the top of the dialog.  If this box is checked the files will be reverted back the the last time they were checked out, losing any changes you made in the meantime.  If you uncheck this you should be able to undo the checkout and leave the files in thier current state.  Then do a "Get Revision" (check all), and watch the prompts.  Since the files are out of sync with the Vault version, it will probably tell you that the local copy is newer, and do you want to replace it from the Vault.  If you are sure that the local copy is what you want, just say no, or no to all.  Vault will proceed to check the files back out while leaving the local copy intact.  Then you can save it and check it back in to update the Vault copy to the latest version of the local copy.

As always... make sure you have good backups!

Message 4 of 5
beardrafting
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you both of these seem like they can help us. When we get to a good stop point today we will try them out and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!
Message 5 of 5
beardrafting
in reply to: cbenner

First thing I did was backup all local files. I was able to find the original project.ipj file on the Vault backup and copy it to the other machine. That allowed me to check in 90% of the files with no problem. There were a few that had similar situtations and i was able to do a combination of Undo Checkout, recheckout without overwriting local. Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report