Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changes to common parts

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bcoburn3
206 Views, 1 Reply

changes to common parts

Hi,

I'd like some process I can use to prevent changes to common parts from propagating backwards to machines that are in vault that have already been shipped out to the customer.

In particular, say I have some part, say a "Filter Bracket" that goes into jobs 1, 2, and 3, all of which have been shipped.  I then want to be able to revise the bracket without changing the model file for the already shipped jobs.

My current plan is:

Rename the part file and the file for every assembly and drawing that includes the part to include the current rev number, for example "Filter Bracket - Rev A"

Do a copy design on the highest level assembly that needed to change, renaming the files back to not having the rev in the name, "Filter Bracket" for example.

I can then look at the assembly for job 2, and know that the version of the filter bracket in the assembly file is the one we shipped.

This has some drawbacks:

It may require replacing a lot of components in a lot of assemblies, and changing a lot of part names, if the part to be revised is in many sub assemblies.

A new/insufficiently trained engineer may find both "Filter Bracket" and "Filter Bracket - Rev A" in Vault, and incorrectly choose the part with the rev in the name.

Does anyone else know of a better way to accomplish the same basic goal of being able to know that the version of an assembly in vault is the same as the one we shipped while also being able to revise parts that will go in many machines in the future?

We currently use Vault Basic 2013, and an Inventor version that calls itself "Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2013" or something, whatever that means exactly.  I'm not interested in any solution that's going to require different licences.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jparks_79
in reply to: bcoburn3

Hi Bcoburn,

Check out the help section on "labels". I seen a demonstartion on this once. It somehow allows you take create a snapshot of the assembly and give it name. I don't really have any experience with it, but it may help.

Also, i am guessing you are using basic vault? If so, try upgrading to one of the higher levels of vault which allow you to create and maintain design states. If you have "Design Release" states, there are settings which allow the user to download "As released". so the inexperienced designer, as long as their setings are correct, would only download the released design. This may also be an alternative

Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report