Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed Library Drive Letter Issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Robert_H
329 Views, 6 Replies

Changed Library Drive Letter Issue

We were getting a new physical drive to keep our vaulted library (library on a network drive, but managed via vault...). Because the old drive was to remain in operation, we had a new drive letter. We copied over the library and updated our project file to reflect this change in letter. We did a test to see if everything was working as we hoped. We disconnected the old drive and then opened an assembly. No missing parts to be seen, no resolve links. We also checked out a library file in Inventor and we saw the checkout register in Vault Explorer. So we figured everything went smoothly.

Seemingly randomly now though we get a message about some file (a library file, not always the same file) cannot be found in our workspace, do we want to get the latest version from Vault. If we say no, we don't end up with any missing parts as it still is getting it from outside the workspace (as it should).

Is there some way to resolve this problem?

Inventor Professional 2010
Vault 2010

-Robert
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Robert_H
in reply to: Robert_H

I know my post is months old...but I just wanted to bring this back up since the problem hasn't gone away (didn't expect it to correct itself though).
Message 3 of 7
MandyLiu

Hi Robert,

This issue should be unrelated to the library drive update. We already have a similar issue reported to our development team. It is casued by the Vault Add-in which tries to resolve the file. We will try to fix it in our next release.

Please also try with the workaround below if you want to avoid the annoying message.
1. When the file missing prompt appears, click the save button after the root file opened successfully.
2. Change Save to "Yes" for assembly files.
3. Click OK to save files manually. (The new file reference path will be saved)
Then the file missing prompt should not appear again when you open the file next time.

Hope this helps.

Mandy Liu

Mandy Liu
Software Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
Robert_H

I tried that out and it didn't change anything, I still get the message the next time I open the assembly.

I just found it odd that it only wants to get the library parts from vault and not all parts.

I did manually change the drive letter back to what it once was though and confirmed that a simple letter change didn't fix it. The reason the drive letter had changed was that we moved the inventor-related files on the server from a server that had non-inventor related stuff to the same server that the vault database is stored on. That way we worked with only 1 server instead of 2. It shouldn't be the actual server name change that caused this would it? In our project file we just call out the drive letter, so I wouldn't think Inventor was having issue with it.
Message 5 of 7
MandyLiu

Hi Robert,

The issue was not caused by the drive letter change. And it is as expected that change the drive letter back didn't fix the issue.

This issue is caused by some changes in Vault Add-in. It tries to resolve the file even when it is not checked into Vault, where Inventor itself can find the file from local disk successfully. I believe it is coincidence for you that all the files are library files which Inventor needs to re-locate.

This is a bug caused by Vault Add-in in Inventor 2010. We're very sorry about the inconvenience for you.

Given the workaround doesn't work for you, I guess maybe there are several files which need to be saved or some files are in library. Would you please try with the following step as well?
1. Click"Application Options" in the tools Ribbon.
2. Change to the "Save" page.
3. Check the box "Prompt to save for re-computable updates" and click "OK".
4. Open the file with this issue and click "Save" button. (If the file is in library, you will need to change the save to "Yes" manually, please refer to the attached image.)
This time, all the necessary files should be saved so that the prompt should not come out again.

Mandy Liu

Mandy Liu
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
Robert_H

Either I must have already done that in the past months or that fix isn't applicable to me.

I opened an assembly with the problem and did that change to in the Save menu and dirtied the assembly (since it didn't see a need to save at all) and only the assembly needed saved at that point.

I even have the box for "Do not list references files..." unchecked in the Save menu.

The library files that I see come up on the prompt have even been migrated from IV 2008 to IV 2010 and have gone through a rebuild all.

Now, these parts are iParts. It is the factory part that is appearing in the prompt. This problem existed prior to migration, but even when it was time to migrate, I did a rebuild all on the factory as well as all the children to hopefully clear up any issues.

When you say a future release, are you talking a service pack or another entire release, like IV 2011? Not asking you say which release...just clarifying.
Message 7 of 7
MandyLiu

Hi Robert,
I'm afraid that I don't know why the workaround still doesn't work for you.

The future release I mentioned was Inventor 2011. Currently, we're aimed to solve the problem in Inventor 2011.

Mandy Liu

Mandy Liu
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report