Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change state permission issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jcorson8499
665 Views, 6 Replies

Change state permission issue

When a user, not admin, takes an pre-existing file in Vault and sets the Category, sets the revision, and the is setting the State why is the user able to set the state to any state w/in the category? As shown in the pictures attached the user only has access the change the state to 'Work in Progress' or 'In Review' BUT in the other picture the user is able to change the state to any of the states(Released, Obsolete, Quick Change etc).

Any ideas if this is intentional or do i possibly have something set incorrectly? The Use only has access to change the state to 'In Review' from 'Work In Progress'

This only happens on the initial state change. 

Is this b/c there is not transition permissions for coming from No State?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jcorson8499
in reply to: jcorson8499

Any one have any clue if this is supposed to be like this or not?

Message 3 of 7
matt.smith

Yes.  You are correct.  When going to a new lifecycle definition, since you are not transitioning from a previous state, the transition rules do not apply.

However, only users with a certain role (I can't recall which role off hand) are able to set the lifecycle definition for a file.  So, you can restrict it to allow only certain users to have the ability to put a file into a lifecycle definition.  Once the file is in a lifecycle definition, then it will have a state and all the transition rules will apply.

Does that help?

- Matt

jcorson8499 wrote:

When a user, not admin, takes an pre-existing file in Vault and sets the Category, sets the revision, and the is setting the State why is the user able to set the state to any state w/in the category? As shown in the pictures attached the user only has access the change the state to 'Work in Progress' or 'In Review' BUT in the other picture the user is able to change the state to any of the states(Released, Obsolete, Quick Change etc).

Any ideas if this is intentional or do i possibly have something set incorrectly? The Use only has access to change the state to 'In Review' from 'Work In Progress'

This only happens on the initial state change.

Is this b/c there is not transition permissions for coming from No State?

Message 4 of 7
jcorson8499
in reply to: matt.smith

Matt,

thank you for your reply. That isnt what i was hoping to hear but atleast my thoughts were confirmed. Now i need to figure out what role you are talking about and give that a try.

Thank you much 

Message 5 of 7
matt.smith

I looked it up:  The role is Document Manager (Level 2).

jcorson8499 wrote:

Matt,

thank you for your reply. That isnt what i was hoping to hear but atleast my thoughts were confirmed. Now i need to figure out what role you are talking about and give that a try.

Thank you much

Message 6 of 7
jcorson8499
in reply to: matt.smith

if i remove that role tho they cannot change the state of a file period. 

Message 7 of 7
matt.smith

If you still want them to be able to Change State, you can give them the Document Manager (Level 1) role, but not Level 2.

Hope that helps.

- Matt

jcorson8499 wrote:

if i remove that role tho they cannot change the state of a file period.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report