Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change display username of windows account

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
DannyvanDuijn2
1197 Views, 11 Replies

Change display username of windows account

We're using AD account to create Vault Accounts. However, the username is displayed as Domainname\Username and is used as username in Vault.

The problem is that this configuration is used in Vault Revision Table on drawings. So the name is displayed in the table as Domainname\Username when a file is released.

Is there a way to change the display of the usename of AD -accounts in Vault?

Cheers Danny

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: DannyvanDuijn2

I was wondering the same thing, for the same reason the other day.  You could create a User Defined Property that is filled in or selected from a list of values for this... but I've recently found that UDP's don't work and play well with the Vault revision tables.  Not sure if it's a bug or not, but I have been looking into it.  System properties work ok, but as you mentioned, username shows up WITH the domain name attached... and that won't cut it.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Message 3 of 12
DannyvanDuijn2
in reply to: cbenner

Hi ChrisB,

I'm glad I'm not alone in this matter.

Thanks for your input and posting it on the forum.

I hope Autodesk will look into it soon and post their findings/ideas.

Message 4 of 12
cbenner

Danny,

I've fixed the issue I was having with the revision table not working at all... so now I can say that for your situation, the best thing to do might be to create a User Define Property like Revision Author.  I did this, and set it as a list value and filled the list with the names of all the users as I want them to appear in the revision block.  I did the same with the approving engineer.  I also have UDP's for the revision description field and the revision date.

Here is a screen capture of the Rev Author.  What I do is when the State has been changed from Released to WIP, I edit properties on the file and change these properties... it will set them for the current version and leave the settings for previous versions intact.  If you need more help with this let me know.  I'm just happy I got it working again.

def.JPG

Message 5 of 12
DannyvanDuijn2

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply but this does not cover my problem. The Vault RevisionTable is working normally but it will display the username with the domain name.

When using a Vault account instead of a Window Account it will display the username which is set in de user settings menu of Vault. With a Windows Account you can not override the username field in the usersettings menu of Vault; it is greyed out. That behavior is logic because is it imported from the Active Directory environment.

My question is: is it possible to override this field or can I use another field without manual interaction. I do not want to let the user choose the release name. I just want to use the acountname.....without the domainname attached to it.

See attached image how a Windows account username looks like.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Message 6 of 12
cbenner

Danny,

I'm saying that instead of using the actual username in your Vault revision table, create a User Defined Property... then it will show up however you want it to.  You just have to map the Revision Table to that property.

Capture.JPG

My guess is that you are using system properties like "checked out by"?

Message 7 of 12
DannyvanDuijn2

Chris,

I know what you mean, but then the user have to set the UDP manually. If the UDP can be mapped from the login name, it is a workable solution. I want to avoid any manual interaction, for security reasons.

The Checked Out By property is not used, but has the same value as the used Created By property (both system properties). You are right about that.....

Danny

Message 8 of 12
cbenner

OK... I getcha.  I think right now the only way around this is to NOT use the Windows Authentication.  That's the only solution I've found anyway.  That's what prompted me to the UDP's.  But there's only a handful of us here so it's not a big security issue.

Message 9 of 12
DannyvanDuijn2

Chris,

Thanks for posting your findings to the forum. Not using Windows account is not an option for the security/administrative reasons.

It is clear now that there is no solution for this. Perhaps in the future there will be....

Danny

Message 10 of 12
paul.gunn

Hi,

You are right that there is not a way to use a different display name for domain users.

I'd recomment logging this on the Idea Exchange to raise visibility.

Paul

Message 11 of 12
steveh3
in reply to: paul.gunn

To the dev team....

This has to be fixed. Running 2016 now and becoming more of an issue in other places. IT is making us go to Windows Account for security purposes.

Looks like Irvin has had this out there for several years (June of 2012)...and has been accepted. Whatever that means????

Please give this some Kudos to make it relevent again.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideastation/different-display-name-for-windows-users/idi-p/35022...

Also...here's a video of what we are dealing with....

http://autode.sk/1PrVxC7

Thx,

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 12 of 12
steveh3
in reply to: steveh3

One work around I found for change orders....Is to edit the change order and change the routing from there, that windows is sizeable.

Inventor---Vault Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report