Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Cannot check in file with missing XREFs

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
HarryHighpants
3567 Views, 12 Replies

Cannot check in file with missing XREFs

I check out an AutoCAD dwg file to my C drive, using the vault plugin running from within AutoCAD.

The dwg file has many XREFs.

I edit the file, save, then go to check it back in to vault. However, AutoCAD will not allow me to check it back in, with an error message as shown below.

I start the XREF flyout (by typing XREF on the command line). An inspection of the listed XREFs shows unresolved references (see the icon on the left, wherever there is a blue cross).

The only way to fix it is to select the files that show up as unresolved, right-click RELOAD, then right-click UNLOAD.

However, this is extremely time consuming, as the file that I work on have numerous XREFs.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
KooCheeKit
in reply to: HarryHighpants

Are the xrefs checked in before?

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
HarryHighpants
in reply to: KooCheeKit

Yes, the XREFs are in VAULT, and are checked in.

I have attached another screenshot of the XREF flyout, this time I have arranged the XREFs in tree structure.

Message 4 of 13
KooCheeKit

Would suggest re-open the host dwg using Open from Vault within AutoCAD. When it prompt replace dwgs, click No, as you have already made changes to local dwgs. This should download the not found xrefs, hence Check In should not return missing xrefs message dialog.

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
HarryHighpants

Tried that, still no joy I'm afraid. I am getting the same error message every time.

The problem is not unique to me, as everyone else in the office experiences the same problem.

Message 6 of 13
KooCheeKit

Could you reload the unloaded xrefs and what are their status? The status column could be view from list view (F3).

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
HarryHighpants

Hi. Please see attached image.

The "problem XREFs" are the ones with the blue crosses. To my knowledge, this means the files are not in vault.

This is not true, they do in fact already exist in vault.

Something I have noticed is that XREFs that have been renamed to something different to their file name, almost always create problems (see highlighted).

When I reload / unload, the blue crosses disappear, and then I can check the file back in to Vault.

But as I said before, this is a huge time penalty.

We have had our CAD systems supplier look at it, and it is a mystery to everyone.

Message 8 of 13
KooCheeKit

You are right, that icon means xrefs not in Vault.

I did spent sometime today, but could not repro.

After reload / unload and then Check In, would your dataset has the same issues either re-open on local or another machine? If so, it would be faster to resolve the issues via product support. i can try to repro if your dataset could be shared.

XrefUnloaded.PNG

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13

We are working with our CAD supplier to resolve the issue.

I cannot send you example files at this stage because of company protocol.

Hopefully we will resolve the issue soon, and I can post a solution!

Thanks

Message 10 of 13
tstorzuk

Did you ever figure out what was happening with your files?

We're working with Vault too. Finding out that it's quite the POS.

Message 11 of 13
CGBenner
in reply to: tstorzuk

@tstorzuk 

Hello.... can you be a little more specific as to why you think Vault is... less than you hoped for?

What issues are you seeing?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager ā€“ Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 12 of 13
tstorzuk
in reply to: CGBenner

@CGBenner 

I don't have a couple of weeks to list all the problems with Vault.

If you've ever been unfortunate enough to have used it, then you already know what a giant POS it is.

Message 13 of 13
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: CGBenner

@CGBenner 

The biggest issue with Autocad and vault is missing xref's. Companies pass packages of dwg back and forth 

and nobody cares about missing xref until it gets to the poor Vault user that can' check in. Now it is painful to fix those missing xref. I have even seen companies that leave the xref missing so they always have a reminder about what is missing. 

The best solution I can see is allow to check in with missing xref's but I don't think the exact and perfect world of the Vault developers work in  can cope with that. 

Thanks

Dan 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report