Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot check files into new vault, missing textures

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
phil-mcam
1151 Views, 2 Replies

Cannot check files into new vault, missing textures

Please see the attached picture file.

I am trying to learn Vault. I have an assembly with parts, assemblies, and a drawing that I would like to check into the vault. I am using the "Using Autodesk Vault with Single Inventor Project" skill builder.

When I try to use autoloader or just check in from Inventor, I get the errors you see in the attachment.

Problem is: there are no textures in any of the parts. I've purged all styles and the parts are using Default as a color.

So how do I convince Inventor/Vault/Autoloader that these parts no longer require the missing textures?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
phil-mcam
in reply to: phil-mcam

I found my solution here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Texture-Purge/m-p/2881064/highlight/true#M392178

I must say that as a very long time Inventor user I am surprised at this solution. What good is purging styles, removing all uses of old textures, etc. when there is still a "link" to the file?

Nothing reports a missing link (sorry couldn't resist). But seriously, there is no "resolve link" dialog. You could work for years and years and one day try to install Vault only to find that tens of thousands of parts need you to go in and manually break links to information you haven't used in years, nor has Inventor been confused about one bit... that is, until you get autoloader involved.

Someone has to make using Vault a little easier. No wonder people just shrug and say "I can manage it myself" when faced with a bill for potentially hundreds of hours for editing parts that previously gave no indication they were "sick". Everything else about this project fits the Using Vault with One Project File method to a "T" (all the designs live in one folder each, with zero cross pollination of files). And here I am, faced with a time waste of immense proportions because my files "link" to something long forgotten... or just keep doing my thing, like yesterday.

Message 3 of 3
scottmoyse
in reply to: phil-mcam

I had a situation we discovered when implementing Vault, where Inventor was creating Links to textures and not getting rid of them once the texture wasn't in use (the links shouldn't have been created anyway!) anyway I had some files with 25 links to image files in them, which prior to implementing Vault we had no idea exsited.

All because we wanted to use a project library for our textures instead of the application library. Project libraries mean you can have a networked & shared location for your texture files.

Still not fixed in 2012 SP1.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report