Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot be renamed due to vaulting restrictions??????

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
karthur1
4323 Views, 16 Replies

Cannot be renamed due to vaulting restrictions??????

Just needed to rename a file that is used in several assemblies.  Should be a 2 minute job..... that was 20 minutes ago.. go figure.

While I was waiting, I did a little searching here.  Saw where several ppl had the same issue, but not really any solutions.  Looks like that in Vault 2012, they changed something so now BEFORE we do a move, rename or copy design, we have to do another step... Update File Reference.

I found this post, but the wiki link there is a dead end. A wiki search for "Update File Reference" didnt return anything either.

We need a way to Update the File Reference for the entire vault, not just on an "as-needed" basis.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
r.smith1
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

Please review below link.

IMPORTANT: Due to changes in how Vault tracks file dependencies you will need to run the Update File Reference command prior to executing commands such as Copy Design, Move, and Rename. You may run Update File Reference on the files to be acted on immediately prior to running any command that will modify file references in the Vault. However, it is recommended for ease of use that you run Update File References command on the root of the vault immediately after migrating a vault to update file references for all data in the vault.This will not modify your data in any way and is a one time action.

1. As an administrator, log in to the vault and go to Tools > Administration > Vault Settings.
  2. On the Files tab click the Define button to specify working folder options.
  3. In the Default Inventor Project File field select a vault project at the root of the vault.
    If you are using multiple project files you will need to set this option for each project file before updating the file references for the files in the project's scope.
  4. Click OK and exit out of all the Administration dialogs.
  5. Select the root of the vault ($).
  6. Select Actions > Update File Reference.
    Updating references may take a while

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/002Readme_Notes/...

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 17
karthur1
in reply to: r.smith1

Hey Ron,

Did that at the root.. got an error. Dont remember exactly what it was.  I can try it again if you need to know what it is.

Tried it on an individual folder..  got a message that the ids were not migrated.

2011-10-19_1542.png

Message 4 of 17
r.smith1

Hi Kirk,

Please do the following:

• Run Inventor 2012 and Autocad 2012 on your workstation to be sure they are the last program opened and registered.  Try to run UFR (Update File Reference).  Results?
  • Make sure your IPJ is set in the Vault Options, or define the standard IPJ in Vault Administration>Vault settings>Define working folder set standard IPJ.  Once set, Close Vault, reopen and UFR.  Results?
  • Ensure none of the folders contain a period in the folder name.  If so, rename without a period in the folder name and restest UFR.  Results?
  • Expand the details of the dialog, if you "get latest" that file, can you it open in Inventor or Autocad?  If you "get previous" versions it may show in the details, are you able to open them in Inventor?  if so, retest UFR.

Ron Smith
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 17
karthur1

Please do the following:

• Run Inventor 2012 and Autocad 2012 on your workstation to be sure they are the last program opened and registered.  Try to run UFR (Update File Reference).  Results?
  • Make sure your IPJ is set in the Vault Options, or define the standard IPJ in Vault Administration>Vault settings>Define working folder set standard IPJ.  Once set, Close Vault, reopen and UFR.  Results?

Ron,

I have set the IPJ via Vault Explorer> Vault settings>Define working folder.  I also have set the default Inventor project file and I also checked the "Enforce consistent project file for all clients".  We all work from a single vault project file here.  All of my clients are on Inventor 2011 and Vault 2012.  On my server, I have Inventor 2012 and Vault 2012 loaded.

I searched vault for ".".  It returned an Error 1013, but it did show me some folders with a period in the filename.  I'm in the process now of renaming all of these.  Dont see why anyone want to have a period in the folder name, but its also weird that it is a restriction.  Windows allows it, why not vault?  Any other invalid characters that I need to be on the look-out for?

I plan on letting the UFR run overnight from the server.  I'll let you kno tomoro what it returns.

Later, Kirk

Message 6 of 17
karthur1

Ron,

Working on renaming the filenames that have "." in them.  I tried and it said that it couldnt rename b/c of vault restrictions and wanted me to run UFR.  I did that on the parent folder and got this message.

2011-10-20_1625.png

I can go to each subfolder and rename most of them there.  Just cant from "Elevator" folder.  I did run across a few that it will not let me rename b/c they are "Configuration members"...guess that means iasemblies.

2011-10-20_1647.png

Would really be nice if we could have the "." in the folder name.

Message 7 of 17
r.smith1

Moving this to a support case.  Will follow up with the group with a resolution, once found.

Ron Smith
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Moving a iAssembly or iPart in Vault is usually not possible, as Vault is not programmed to update the internal references in these files. They are stuck at the location/path where they were created initially. We can hope that Autodesk "might consider this for a future release" (Vault 2020 Smiley Very Happy)

Message 9 of 17
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Moving a iAssembly or iPart in Vault is usually not possible....

Seems to work pretty good for us.  I have a bunch of both iassemblies and iparts in Vault.  The problem that I am having is that some of the iassemblies have a "period" in the file folder.  I cant rename the folder.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Message 10 of 17
karthur1

Issue reslolved by Vault 2012- SP1...

Thanks Ron,

Kirk

Message 11 of 17
r.smith1

Issue closed privately.  Public information about the case below:

After applying Vault 2012 Update 1, the issue was resolved.

Ron Smith
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 17
Will82006

Hi Ron,

I came across this thread because I was having the same issue (recently upgraded to Vault and Inventor 2012).  I have applied Update 1 and will be starting the UFRs per one of the earlier posts.  However, I wanted to know: Must this be done on each workstation or just from one workstation is sufficient?

Thanks,

Will

Message 13 of 17
minkd
in reply to: Will82006

You only need to update the file references once, and you can do this from a single workstation.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 17
karthur1
in reply to: minkd

Dave,

I have done this already for the entire vault, but on some occasions I still get the message that says that I need to update the file references when I am renaming some parts.

Kirk

Message 15 of 17
Will82006

Thanks, Dave.  Your response is very much appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

I had the same error when updating file references, BUT i had SP1 already installed.

Without SP1, Vault Client would just appear to do the referencing and finishes the task very fast.

There was no progress being shown at all, no files processed.

After installing SP1 the command seemed to do much more work, showing the progress and each file it touched.

When the task was done, there was the same error report that has been shown here.

When looking into the detail and the print preview there were over a thousand pages(!) of files which references could not be updated.

The cause of this remains unknown. In the end and after testing thoroughly, we ignored it with some headaches.

So I can not confirm that SP1 solves the issue of non-updatable file references.

I did all this on a lab-machine which was running Vault Prof. 2012 Server SP1.

I also ran the Vault client on the same machine when doing the tests.

Just to let you know.

Best regards,

Jan

Message 17 of 17
karthur1

Just spent some time renaming parts for a new design. After I got the parts named the way I wanted, this message came up. "x of y design files you are attempting to rename do not contain complete file referenc information......" (se below)

I just let it go, despite the warning.  No way was I going to cancel it and lose the work that I just completed.  Of course, now when I open this one idw, it cant locate the correct files and I have to tell it what files to go to.

I have already done a Update File Reference in Vault (Actions>Update File Reference), but I still see this message... WHY? and how do I avoid it?

2012-04-12_0955.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report