Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Assign Item No Newer File Versions

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Maxim-CADman77
1139 Views, 24 Replies

Cannot Assign Item No Newer File Versions

Sometimes Vault users complain on inability to procced with Assign Item due to error "No newer file versions available for update."

The only hint from Autodesk is about wrong BOM structure - http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2010/10/cannot-assign-item-no-newer-file-versio... 

but error also happens for Normal (NON phantom or reference) IAMs.

I'm pretty sure that it happens because before the issue somebody created in Vault the draft-Itemfor the IAM but failed to complete the operation. 

Passive workaround is pretty simple - Vault deletes automatically draft-Iems each night*.

But we don't feel like ready to lose working day each time it happens.

I'd like to know if there any Active workaround?

How could administrator order Vault to delete all draft-Items during the day?

I almost ready to fool Vault - tell it that in our location night begins at midday or something like this.

Autodesk, we insist that there should be the way not to waste users' working time!

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: Neil_Cross

My oficial cases was so often stayed open for months without reaction that I behave a bit different (more reliable) then you do:

I firstly double check myself (just not to report false info) then I post here steps to reproduce the defect if any (you probably know that some issues don't have obvious pattern to report ...like this one). Then I press magic button (open case based on the thread).

"they don't always have the skills to fix major problems" you are kidding right? In Vault TechSupport team some people don't have enough English

Forget about local reseller in Russia (not only here ..I saw alike opinion from Germany). In non-English countries you most likely would first explain what for is the feature that doesn't work.

Anyway see my workflow (step by step instructions to reproduce are provided). So I don't know what else I could improve from my side. I'm expecting that things could impove after Autodesk top meneger will get my frustration and replace somebody in support team.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 22 of 25
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Yes, I've also received some replies which have been clearly been generated through an online translator and impossible to understand.  But quite right, Product Support are for very basic queries although they have some very good people e.g Kevin Jaufmann-Ludwig, maybe they all cover different parts of the world.  But if I have a problem that I can't fix myself, it's usually always a defect, so I only log it with Product Support so there is a case number to reference.

If you're saying your local reseller is so bad that you can't use them, that really needs to be reported too.  Autodesk have local territory managers for all regions, and resellers are strictly monitored and action taken if they don't meet the standards that Autodesk expect, but only if Autodesk know about them.

For this issue though, no newer file versions for the item, I don't know what else you can do.  I also can't reproduce it as it seems to be random.  

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 23 of 25
ebuckner

I definitely understand your frustration, and the frustration of those in your linked thread. We started in with Vault 4 under Inventor 10, must be 10 years ago now. Some of those releases were just about the death of me. I think the issue is that they, ADesk, don't have a good method to test their software against dirty, broken, corrupt d-bases in a working environment. Once they let it out in the world all sorts of unforseen conditions push the software in unanticipated directions. I don't know that anyone does, look at Microsoft, how many dogs have they released over the years? I can say this though, their support guys, once goosed into action, can usually take care of the issue. the trick is to goose them properly Smiley Wink

Cheers, Eric

Inventor 2014 Pro 64bit Build 246 SP2
Vault 2014 Pro Admin Update 2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.30GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K5000

Message 24 of 25
ebuckner

A little update, it appears that in every case of an item being locked the following is true (for us) -

1. Only the top level (assembly/weldment/insep) item was locked, all children were free before and after the failure.

2. The user had edited one or more of the child Item Names during the assignment process.

In the past we've seen similar behaviour when the process was left running for long periods, say manually renaming items for half an hour or leaving the assignment process running overnight.

Is there a timer running somewhere that begins at the start of the assignemnt process and that triggers the lock? Is this timer editable?

Message 25 of 25
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: mthomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report