Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Assign Item No Newer File Versions

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Maxim-CADman77
1104 Views, 24 Replies

Cannot Assign Item No Newer File Versions

Sometimes Vault users complain on inability to procced with Assign Item due to error "No newer file versions available for update."

The only hint from Autodesk is about wrong BOM structure - http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2010/10/cannot-assign-item-no-newer-file-versio... 

but error also happens for Normal (NON phantom or reference) IAMs.

I'm pretty sure that it happens because before the issue somebody created in Vault the draft-Itemfor the IAM but failed to complete the operation. 

Passive workaround is pretty simple - Vault deletes automatically draft-Iems each night*.

But we don't feel like ready to lose working day each time it happens.

I'd like to know if there any Active workaround?

How could administrator order Vault to delete all draft-Items during the day?

I almost ready to fool Vault - tell it that in our location night begins at midday or something like this.

Autodesk, we insist that there should be the way not to waste users' working time!

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
ebuckner
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

No ADESK response on this....
Message 3 of 25
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: ebuckner

There was the case # 08926226 opened.

Then Autodesk guy reported that he can't reproduce the issue in his environment and asked for step by step instruction.

I answered that I don't know the exact workflow.

They asked to provide them the vlog from the day of issue - I've send it but it doesn't helped them much.

Then they asked for Windows events ...but there was nothing interesting in events.

Then they asked for database but I'm not alowed to share database outside our company.

Finally they said "there is nothing we could do unless we get either detailed workflow to reproduce the issue or database with issue" and put the case on hold (it closed).

If you could provide Autodesk with what they need - try it. ...maybe you'll get more luck.

And please share the solution with us (when/if you get it).

Message 4 of 25
Neil_Cross

I've come up against this one a few times, I can say with 100% certainty that it has absolutely nothing to do with phantom assemblies, well not exclusively.  The last instance I had was on an Item assigned to an IPT.

Unfortunately there was no easy fix, the item was totally unworkable.  The only solution was to remove the IPT from the item and re-assign it.

Message 5 of 25
mthomas
in reply to: Neil_Cross

We've run into numerous items with the same issue since moving to 2015 and the solution in each instance was to remove all links and re-link them back. The item seems to be stuck with an older version of the file.

I haven't been able to narrow down one particular workflow, user causing the issue, nor a particular dataset nor time period of item creation. To us it seems random.

Mike Thomas

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 25
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mthomas

Yea all the instances of this issue that I came across was on Vault Pro 2013, good to know it's still going to happen when I push up to 2015 Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 25
Maxim-CADman77

nothing special. Just another "good" job of Autodesk Vault team

Message 8 of 25
ebuckner

In all the years that we've been using vault they've the vault team have always jumped on things they could get their hands around. Besides, in the early days this "cause" would of had the effect of locking the item until manually unlocked. The fact that it comes free on it's own is reason to celebrate!

I too am seeing this only from one user so far which I assume also points to only one workflow. And each time this user runs into this issue, the 3AM item refresh breaks the item free. Our IT guy searched for a way to kick the refresh manually at the ADMS but failed to find one.

I think the solution is to give us an admin tool (client level) that allows us to check for a lock on an item and if permissable, break the lock. Doesn't happen often enough to go any further than that in our case.

Message 9 of 25
Neil_Cross

I haven't implemented 2015 live yet so someone else would need to confirm this, but there is now a manual kickstart function in the Vault client to remove the item locks? It's on the action menu > remove item & eco locks.  

I honestly haven't had a chance to test how that functions so it could be a red herring for this issue, but worth a thought and a comment from someone else who's looked into it?

Message 10 of 25
minkd

While it won't solve the underlying problem (which is still an unknown at this point), in 2015 and beyond we added a command (Actions >> Clear Item and CO Locks") to Vault Explorer so users can at least get past these sorts of problems without waiting for a nightly job to clear them out.

The command clears any locks and any uncommitted edits held by that user on that workgroup, so I think it will help when you see this particular problem. Just beware that if you are running multiple clients logged in as the same user, all of them are impacted by this command.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 25
ebuckner
in reply to: minkd

Any chance of getting something worked up for 2014 users? We won't be moving to the next version for two years. Even a standalone ADMS kick tool would suffice if generating an Admin level client tool is out of the question.
Message 12 of 25
minkd

Unfortunately, certain types of changes can't be deployed via hotfixes or service packs - and this is one of them.  Any deployment would be fundamentally no different than upgrading all clients and server to 2015. You would have to upgrade the server (and go thru a migration), and then deploy new clients.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 25
Maxim-CADman77

I'm also get annoyed when Autodesk says that to solve some issues in versions we currently use (which by the way supposed to be supported ... at least this included in subscription fees we're paying) we should upgrade to new version (which usually do have new defects).

You could give a try to this recommendation - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-general-discussion/serious-database-erros-with-vault-professiona...

Message 14 of 25
Neil_Cross

I don't remember who told me this, when, or if I imagined it and completely made it up, but I'm 95% sure I was told it's not actually legal to add new functionality/features to a software program after the original launch date.  I honestly don't even know who would police that if a vendor decided to do it anyway, but it kinda makes sense.  Things would get out of hand if a company could release a program, totally unfinished and broken, then just add bits to it whenever they wanted in their own time.  It would also cause havoc with competition if companies could just keep adding stuff to their program to catch up or get an advantage over competitors.  

But then again Microsoft frequently add functionality through Windows service packs, and I can't find any documentation on the subject online.  Either way, as much as I'd also want all supported versions being equally functional when it comes to eliminating problems, I can understand why this isn't feasible.

Message 15 of 25
Maxim-CADman77

For me it seems much more illegal to sell rough versions of software and not bother to fix defects in timely fashion.

Message 16 of 25
Neil_Cross

It's not illegal but it can be very frustrating, they do however try their hardest however to prioritise the most serious issues and get any hotfixes out fast.  It may not be obvious, but they do work really hard all year round to fix issues but they only have so many people doing that and therefore need to prioritise.  I've had this Item lock problem hundreds of times, I had it again last week, it's incredibly frustrating, but I'd rather they dedicated their development time to addressing the more serious issues in the current release Smiley Happy

I know it doesn't help with this problem right now, but in future we can all do our bit by signing up to beta and testing the products/providing feedback before they're released to the wider audience.  Everyone has different data and use Vault in different ways, unfortunately they can't test everything and fix everything for everyone that will use Vault.  

Message 17 of 25
Maxim-CADman77

Count me out of beta-testing for Autodesk. And I wouldn't advise it for others. You mould just waste your time.

When I was younger I 've participated but now (as I see no reaction for defects reported years ago) ... I'd rather spend my time with much profit to my life.

One simple example: judging by betatesting of Inventor 2013 there should be 3Dannotation introduced (we are highly interested in it).

Have you seen this function in Inventor release 2013, 2014 or 2015? What I've spend my time for?

If Autodesk what to rise quality it should invest in betatesting. It is not something that could/should be done for free.

As for Autodesk Vault - I don't know the tech support that works so incompetent as Autodesk Vault tech support team. Believe me I know what I'm telling about - I have dozens issues reported months and even years ago which still present as defects in current release.

If I could be back in time to the moment our company decided to invest in Autodesk Vault I would definetely persuade our company management not to.

Now I'm seeking for alternative PDM to switch to.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 18 of 25
Neil_Cross

Your example of 3D Annotation isn't something that can be addressed in beta though?  That sounds like a wish list idea, something that should be logged on the Idea Station if it isn't already as it's new functionality.  Obviously beta testing is... testing, we hammer the development build and report back any glitches and things that don't work properly.  Beta testing occurs around 2-3 months before the product will release, that really isn't enough time to design, code, test and implement a completely new feature.

I personally participate in beta every year and many of the issues I find and report are fixed during that time.  Not sure what country you're from but in the UK we have an expression regarding politics, if you don't vote you can't complain.  I think of beta in the same way, if I test something during beta and report a bug... but that doesn't get fixed, I have every right to complain Smiley Wink 

I also understand the other side, people who will say "its not my job to test, I pay so I expect it to work".  True, but like I said in the previous post, Autodesk can't test every single scenario.  There are loads of tiny little irritating bugs still there in the product, but nobody can say that when a business critical bug is present they will do nothing, because the big big problems are always fixed very fast.  

Just out of interest, and this is now off-topic for this thread, what other big problems does your company have with Vault?

Message 19 of 25
Maxim-CADman77

I'm from Russia.

Your problem that you read my message with less attention that you should sand thus misunderstood my example.

That new feature (3Da) WAS in beta version of Inventor 2013 but don't get to release even so I personally gave some feedback regarding it.

Thus I do have "right to vote" (BTW I'm 10+ years user of Autodesk Software and 3+ years CAd manager so be please a bit more tolerant/shy in your suggestions).

"nobody can say that when a business critical bug is present they will do nothing, because the big big problems are always fixed very fast"

I can say this.

They can't do system DWF to contain true information for years (no Decal texture, can't create DWF for historical version of IDW etc).

They can't explain why some files get to Vault corrupted (there isn't file in filestore).

They 70 days can't fix Thin Clien that get broken after Vault faild to create one Item.

.... and much more ... just read my posts without solutions here...

If you don't see some problem this doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist even so you are getting some bonuses because of participating in their Expert Elite program.

Message 20 of 25
Neil_Cross

I don't think my participation in the elite program is relevant here, I get no special bonus or treatment, I've only been on the elite program for 4 weeks now.

All I'm trying to do is help, and I apologise as I don't fully understand how the process works in Russia.  In the UK if we have a serious issue with Vault which is genuinely business critical, I'd first log it with Product Support.  I know they don't always have the skills to fix major problems, but an issue needs to be logged through that proper channel first.  Then I'd contact our local Autodesk Reseller and report it with them, explain it in great detail, I used to work for a big Autodesk reseller for nearly 10 years and we had direct channels into high level managers within Autodesk to report severe problems for customers.  It's then up to the Technical Manager of the reseller to ensure he fights for the customer and get's the right people from Autodesk involved.  

If you currently are experiencing a number of business critical issues which are not being handled correctly by Product Support or your reseller, then yes you have every right to be angry and frustrated, I would be too.  I don't know the details on those situations but I assume your reseller is trying to get through to Autodesk for you? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report