Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log into Vault

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
brentstroebel
730 Views, 7 Replies

Can't log into Vault

I'm a single user of Autodesk 2011 with the product installed locally on my computer.  I performed a standard install but am not able to log into Vault using the default settings.  I've attached screenshots of the settings I'm using as well as the error.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: brentstroebel

vault has 2 parts
a client and a server install
did you install both parts?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

it looks like you asked this question already
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/editing-files/m-p/5438065#M530985
you need to respond to your other thread

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Brent,

A little more info is needed here for some decent help with your issues.

What portion of Vault did you install? Did you install the Server and Client or just one of those?

Where did you install them?

Typically you'd install the Server portion on a Server, seperate from your workstation. The Client portion is what you install on your workstation.

The Client is the interface that you, as a user, connects to the CAD Server where the Server portion of Vault is installed.

The Client interface (or within the Inventor application if you load the Vault Add-In) is where you'd perform 98% of your typical Vault activities such as check-in, check-out, etc.

I'm guessing you installed one portion or the other or maybe even both on your local workstation, correct?

If so, it really doesn't serve much of a purpose for the most part as one of the main benefits of Vault is security and having the filestore backed up in case of a disk failure on your local workstation, thus allowing you to quickly recover anything lost. If you have everything on your local and that disk crashes, there's not much you can do unless you save your backups off to another drive.

Vault is meant to be a centralized depository.

If you still need help on this issue, let me know.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 5 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

here is an overview of the Vault architecture

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/Help/ENU...

i am also assuming this is Vault Basic and not the paid for versions of vault?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
brentstroebel
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for the information.  Yes, Vault Basic.

Message 7 of 8

Jim,

Thanks so much of the detailed reply.  I installed the Client portion on my local workstation.  We don't have a server, and I'm currently the only user.  Based on your feedback, I understand how the Vault wouldn't be much benefit to me.  I'll back the files up on an external drive and move on.

Thanks again,

Brent

Message 8 of 8

Brent,

Vault is of great value but you need to use/install it correctly.

Installing the Client is only 1/2 the puzzle.

Without the Server portion being installed, the Client has no one to communicate with.

Consider:

Picture1.png

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report