Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get previous version of a drawing from the vault?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Jimmy_M
1792 Views, 15 Replies

Can't get previous version of a drawing from the vault?

I'm trying to download an old version of an Inventor drawing from the vault, but no matter what I try I always get the latest version. Typically when I get an old version of a part/assembly I would:

- Click on Get / Checkout and select the version I am looking for.
- Go to the file on my hard drive that I have just downloaded and open this.
- Check the old version back in as the latest version.

This seems to work for parts/assemblies, but when I try it for drawings I don't get the option to select which version I want to download. Vault tells me it is downloading ALL versions of the drawing, with only the the latest version actually turning up on my hard drive. Any ideas?

Using Inventor/Vault 2013

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: Jimmy_M
Message 3 of 16
Jimmy_M
in reply to: cbenner

I've tried both.

Message 4 of 16
cbenner

Right clicking from the history section, I'm able to "get" an ond version of an Inventor drawing.  It prompts me about the data in the Vault being newer, and are you sure?  i say yes, and it downloads the old version.  But what I find is that it opens read only.  To actually check it out you have to refresh it with the latest version.  But you can save as to another file name.

Not sure why it's not working for you at all.

get.JPG

Note the check out box is greyed out.  Still working out the "why" on that.  I don't normally play with this feature.

Message 5 of 16
Jimmy_M

Here I've tried to get Version 2 (of 5). It is saying that is downloading all 5 versions. I don't get any prompt about overwriting newer versions like I normally would for a part/assembly.

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 16
cbenner

Message 7 of 16
Jimmy_M

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 16
cbenner

OK...  if you go to this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Get-Previous-Version-amp-Can-t-Checkout/m-p/3010076#U30...

There is a workflow another user posted, and then this morning tweaked a bit... that seems to be working to get an old version, check it out, and then use it to replace the current version in Vault.  I've tested it with 2 or 3 files and been successful so far.  I hope this helps.

Message 9 of 16
Jimmy_M

I fail at Step 1 in the process. I have no Open option for anything other than the latest version.

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 16
cbenner

Here is the workflow that we got to work the best on that other thread:

1. Do the Get/Checkout of the file(s) first (i.e. download and checkout the *latest*).  This will get the file checked out as well make them non-readonly. (so right click on the file, not in the history, and select "get/checkout" check the file and allow it to download.  Do not open.)

2. Now do a Get of the file(s) and choose the version you want to revert to.  The files are already checked out, so this operation is just to get the historical version on disk.  I assume that doing the download only here will not set them to readonly. (this step is done by right clicking the version you want from the history section.  The checkout box will be greyed out since you already checked it out above.  Again, allow the download.  You will get a warning like:

get.JPG

Select Yes so that this version becomes the checked out version.  Now go to Inventor and open the file form it's location there.  It SHOULD be this historical version and already checked out.  You can go to work from there, save it and check it back in, replacing what the previously "latest" version was.)

Message 11 of 16
dano0310

Hi Everyone

I have just been having the exact same trouble and have just been able to get it sorted.

The trick was to click "Get/Check Out" on the version that is required.  In the next window click the settings button and uncheck "Include related documentation".

This will stop it trying to download different drawing files for different parts.

Cheers

Dan

Message 12 of 16
aspence

I am having this exact same problem - and the latest posted workflow is not working for me.

As recently as 6 months ago, I was able to simply right click on the version I wanted from the History tab, Get it, Save it and check it back in, and it worked.  Now, it is holding onto the latest version.  I think a trouble-ticket is in order.

Message 13 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: aspence

In Vault 2015, here is the way the workflow.

1. In Vault, get the latest and check it out.

2. Now fine the historical version in Vault that you want to bring forward to the latest.  Now  Get/checkout on that version. Vault should prompt you something like "...xyz is checked out to you. Do you want to overwrite...?'.  Say "yes" here.

3. Now in the application that you normally open the file in (Acad, Inventor... or whatever), the browser shows you are out-of-date (which you actually are).  However, you can now right-click and select "Check-in".

4.  This is will make the older version the current version in vault.

Here is a short video.

Message 14 of 16
aspence
in reply to: karthur1

Thank you for the response, but I am using Vault 2013 - the workflow is not the same.  I did however solve my problem. I had to perform a "get" on the latest version first, and before clicking ok, I had to uncheck the "include dependents" and the "include related documentation" boxes.

Once I unchecked these, I hit OK to get the latest version.  Then I was able to go through the history tab to the version I wanted, "get it", save it and check it in as the new latest version.

options.png options1.png

Message 15 of 16
felix.idiens

Seeing as this is the entire point of having a vault, the functionality is so unbelievably bad!

Not only do you have to go though a very precise and un-obvious sequence of events but some where down the line you guys have changed the 'Get/check out' button to two separate buttons, 'Get' and 'Check out' rendering all old explanations useless and not giving any more functionality. 

Would it be so hard to click on the old version you require in the vault, click open and then the previous version opens and you can choose to check it out to make modifications once opened in inventor. 

We're now on 2018 and this is still a problem. 

Message 16 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: felix.idiens

@felix.idiens wrote:

Seeing as this is the entire point of having a vault, the functionality is so unbelievably bad!

Not only do you have to go though a very precise and un-obvious sequence of events but some where down the line you guys have changed the 'Get/check out' button to two separate buttons, 'Get' and 'Check out' rendering all old explanations useless and not giving any more functionality. 

Would it be so hard to click on the old version you require in the vault, click open and then the previous version opens and you can choose to check it out to make modifications once opened in inventor. 

We're now on 2018 and this is still a problem. 

Felix,

What are you trying to do? Do you want to just open a previous version or make a previous version the latest?

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums