Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question on purging

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Neil_Cross
227 Views, 2 Replies

Basic question on purging

Hey all.  Just a quick question, I could probably model up a test for this but I may get a quicker answer here.

I'm wanting to purge a large Vault, purging all versions except the latest 5 (lifecycles & revisions are not active in this Vault).

So say Part1.ipt has 20 versions.

Version 18 is referenced in old version 4 of Drawing1.idw.

Version 18 of the part is elligible for purge, but version 4 of the drawing isn't.  How will the purge handle version 18? 

If versions 6-17 of the part are orphans, no parent relationships, will it retain version 1-5 of the part as per the rules and also version 18 if it is required for historical integrity?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is will the purge command ever cause a scenario where if I want to roll a drawing back to a kept version, will the purge have removed references needed by that version.  This is hurting my head.  But hopefully it makes sense!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
minkd
in reply to: Neil_Cross

If version 18 of the part is referenced by version 4 of a drawing, then version 18 of the part will have a non-overrideable parent restriction until version 4 of the drawing is purged.

But the keepCount counts from the latest version. So if you use a keepCount of 5 and there are no purge restrictions for versions 1-17 & 19 (version 20 cannot be purged because it is the latest version), then you will keep versions 20, 19, 18, 17 & 16.  But even if you used a keepCount of 1, you would not be able to purge version 18 due to the parent restriction.

A good way to see what will get purged for a particular set of files is to do the purge from Vault Explorer.  You will see any restrictions as well as what will be purged, and you can cancel without doing anything.  The only way to override a parent restriction when doing the purge this way is to include the parent in the selection set. In your example, if you select the drawing and the part you would be able to purge version 18 of the part if version 4 of the drawing was purgeable.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
Neil_Cross
in reply to: minkd

Cheers for the comprehensive response Dave.  As it goes, I can't purge this Vault as it's currently disabled pending a mass file reference validation.

Are there any back end/possibly command line ways to do a global update references without having to spread the load across multiple clients which still takes far too much time to complete? 

Kinda off topic there but I can't enable purge until this is done.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report