Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Revision Updates in MS Office Documents - Vault 2011

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
scnatept
2061 Views, 5 Replies

Automatic Revision Updates in MS Office Documents - Vault 2011

Hello,

We have started using vault just recently to control documents using for our manufacturing process.  We currently manually update the revision number of the document in the header / footer area of each office document as needed.

Is there a way to reference the vault revision number into the office document?

Thanks,

Scott Nichols

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
junyi_zhu
in reply to: scnatept

I tried the steps below and it worked for me in Word 2007.

1. Create a new footer and insert a document property (e.g. status) following the instructions from Microsoft.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/insert-headers-and-footers-HP001226486.aspx#BM9

2. Check in the document.

3. Map the vault system property "Revision" to the file property used in the footer.

4. Change the file category if necessary to have a revision.

5. Execute "Synchronize Properties" in Vault Explorer ("Update Properties" in Office should also work)

Junyi Zhu

Message 3 of 6
scnatept

vault - word version.jpg

Attached is a snapshot of what I did with word 2003.

The field RevisionNumber produces a value of 9 whereas the vault revision is 2 and its version is 12.  The other fields in the DocProperty section appear to match the vault value.

Any idea why the mismatch?

Thanks,

Scott

Message 4 of 6
junyi_zhu

Was the file property "RevisionNumber" updated correctly? I assume you have created the mapping in vault explorer so the file property will get the vaule from the vault. If so can you try some other mappings to see if property update works at all?

Junyi Zhu

Message 5 of 6
RyanHou
in reply to: junyi_zhu

Please don't use the 'RevisionNumber' property in your picture. Try as following.

1.Create a custom property called 'DocRev' in word document, its type is Text. And check in this doc to server.

2.Add this document to server. And Map Revision property in Vault using DocRev.

3.Open this doc from vault server.

4.Insert DocRev field property as header. Save this file and check changes to server.

5.It will be updated when you change the revision in vault.

BTW, it does not automatically update when you open a document in Word, please see the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832897

Please refer attached help.png picture,if you still cannot work, please tell me your e-mail, I send you a demo video.

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 6 of 6
CAD-One
in reply to: RyanHou

I shortly will have need of this. Has any one tried this solution? Will it work for Vault Professional 2014?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report