Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autodesk reference repair utility general questions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ckuester
820 Views, 8 Replies

autodesk reference repair utility general questions

Hello ,

we installed Vault 2013 SP1.

Now purging of (unimportant) Versions ist disabled.

The solution is the autodesk reference repair utility.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to run a scan to see what relations are missing? Must I reimport the .CSV File?

Or can I work on as if no scanning was ever done? (without enabled purge)

2. a speculative Question: What if there is a relation and the related part or drawing has been totaly deleted from vault?

Can I then accept "no relation"?  Backround: purging in vault 2013 SP1 is not possible, but deleting is possible.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings

Christian

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
minkd
in reply to: ckuester

1) Yes.  The repair utility does not change anything - it just produces a file that can be opened with MS Excel.

2) No. If a child part has been totally deleted from vault by overridding the delete restriction due to a parent, the missing reference will be detected, but there isn't anything you can do to "fix" the parent other than to checkin a new version of the parent that does not reference the child.

Hope this helps,

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
xavier_dumont2
in reply to: minkd

I'm very frustrated by this tools. Why? Because the initial bug of the purge is the following in a Vault Basic:

Assembly (v1) use a part (v1).

Check-out and check-in the part. Part is now (v2).

Purge.

=> Part (v1) is deleted by the purge... BUG

Now Autodesk Reference utility said me that the assembly is corrupted because the part is missing. It's true but the part (v2) exist. It's just a newer version than the assembly.

But you can't fix it with the Autodesk Reference Repair Utility... I perfectly understand that it's not the expected version but in my opinion, this utility must give a way to fix this original bug... Does Autodesk will improve this?

Message 4 of 9
minkd
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

Unfortunately the tool can't fix those because it would mean having a relationship to a child that did not exist when the parent was checked in. That sort of thing is not possible with the API and would likely cause other problems.

However, you can fix those by checking out and checking in the parent assembly.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
Neil_Cross
in reply to: minkd

Hi - digging up an old thread here but I'd like to know whether or not this has been addressed?

Exactly as detailed above, if a part has been up-versioned without the parent being checked out, will the purge tool delete the old version of the part still referenced by the parent assembly? 

I was thinking about enabling purge on a Vault, but absolutely not if it will remove old versions that are still referenced by current version parents.

Message 6 of 9
minkd
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Purge will no longer allow you delete a version of a child if it is being referenced by a version of a parent - not even with an Admin override.

So doing a purge will not cause any further damage in that regard.  However, since the old purge would have allowed an Admin override, there could be missing relationships.  WIthout the relationship, you could delete the child version. Therefore, we recommend using the ARRU to find any parents with missing relationships so they can be fixed before purge is enabled.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 9
Neil_Cross

What do you refer to though as the old purge? Basically I have ADMS 2013 SP1 - no further updates, just SP1.

The purge isn't mandatory here, however I'll be using the DTU to extract this Vault into a merge with another Vault and a purge will dramatically reduce the volume of data I need to shift and handle.  But I can leave it if there's any chance this could go wrong.

Appreciate the ARRU could help here, but this is a Vault with a 280GB filestore and half a million files.  Manually repairing individual assemblies one by one isn't really feasible in a Vault this size. 

Message 8 of 9
minkd
in reply to: Neil_Cross

The ARRU shipped in the same releases as the fixed Purge.  Prior to that purge was broken, although we did release hotfixes to disable it once we found out that it was broken.

If you don't run the ARRU to correct references that may have been broken due to running the old purge, you may be missing relationships that would prevent purge from deleting something you still need. If you go ahead and purge at that point, it may not be possible to fix the broken relationship anymore.

Using DTU to export and merge this vault with another will only create a larger dataset that ARRU will need to run thru before you can safely use purge on it.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
xavier_dumont2

Be careful with ARRU. In some condition, this tools perform the analysis quickly (too quickly). You will see in the log: Don't need to analyse (something like that).

It's a bug of the ARRU. We already have a support request open with Autodesk about this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report