Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Project File for Vault Options - need some clarification

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Will82006
1703 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Project File for Vault Options - need some clarification

I know that this subject has been discussed before, but I'm hoping that I can get a more elaborated explanation than the one found here.

I encountered the following message from Vault:

Could not locate the default Inventor project file in the vault.  Specify a default Inventor project file in the Options dialog.

I understand the purpose of the project file based on the description in the link above.  However, I'm curious as to WHY , as someone had mentioned in another thread, this needs to be set before moving/deleting/renaming/etc anything in the folder for each project (if working with multiple projects).

I assumed that I have to set the Project File in Vault for the project I want to modify such as, for example, renaming a part file.  After selecting a file path and putting it into the blank line in the Vault Options, I was able to rename the part.  However, I found out that I could go to any OTHER project and rename those files, too.  Is it just me or is this counter-intuitive?  What if I forget to change the Project File in the Options and went to change a part number in a different project; would it have a negative effect?

If there is a reason it must be done this way, maybe a detailed explanation to answer 'why' will help us all understand.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
scottmoyse
in reply to: Will82006

Its all about the 'Cone of Influence'. So Vault needs to know where the workspace is for all the Inventor files. Since Vault from 2012 onwards has much more intelligence when it comes to Inventor file relationships and resolving them without actually modifying the files (i.e: it logs the relationship changes temporarily in the database). The once the files are checked out the Inventor Vault add-in checks that information and rebuilds the file relationships at the point of openign the files in Inventor. Of course this only happens if you have performed a rename operation or any other type of operation which will result in the need to rebuild a file relationship.

Based on your description of your issue, you must be using multiple Inventor project files for Vault instead of the Single Project file best practice suggested by Autodesk?

I'm about to craft a blog post about my view on the Single Project File vs Multiple Project files within Vault in the coming days, so I won't get into that here just yet.

But if you have your folder structures and project files set up correctly you shouldn't need to change the Inventor Project File in the Vault options dialogue at all. In fact this can be specified by the Administrator in 2013.

you should aim for the project file used in Vault, to be all encompassing, in the sense that its workspace has all of your project locations within its folder structure. Otherwise yes you will have to change the setting all the time, in which case I believe you need to review the structure of your Vault.

I hope this helps for now.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 3
Will82006
in reply to: scottmoyse

Wow, I completely forgot about this post until now, when the same problem occured after upgrading to PDS 2013.  Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for the explanation, Scott.  You are correct in assuming that I am using multiple project files vs. a single project file.  You mentioned that you were going to prepare a blog post regarding Single vs. Multiple Projects in Vault; could you please post a link to this so that I may take a look?

If I wish to keep the Vault project structure as it is now, what do you suggest I do?  Should I enforce a rule with the designers that each time they switch to work on a different project, they must change the Default Project in the Vault Options?  Or should I preset a Default Project and 'lock it' so that no one can change it? (is this even possible?)

I'm guessing that it would be a huge undertaking to convert our current Vault structure to become a Single Project-style Vault structure, is that right?

Thanks again for your help!

Will

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report