Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad and Inventor drawings in same Vault folder?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Winks87
520 Views, 3 Replies

Autocad and Inventor drawings in same Vault folder?

We have been creating Inventor drawings in Vault for a year now and are about to pull in Autocad.  We just now synchronized Autocad and Inventor to the same release (2013).  Can I use the same folder structure for all drawings?  Has anyone ran into issues with storing Autocad and Inventor drawings side by side in the same folders?

These are some pros/cons I came up with:

Pros: This would be ideal for batch plotting and viewing of drawings by sales/management folks.  One folder contains all drawings - easy to get to and look at.

Cons: Someone who uses only Autocad my decide to modify a drawing created with Inventor - and not realize this.  The drawing could/should revert back when opened with Inventor.

Surely someone has done this - what issues does this create?  Any help/warnings/guidance would be appreciated.

James Winkler
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: Winks87

Our Vault folders routinely contain Inventor files (parts, assemblies, drawings etc) Autocad files, PDF files, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, DWF files.... and other miscellaneous junk that needs to be cleaned out.  The only problem I've ever had is having to search through some of the old junk to find what I'm looking for.

So, no I don't believe it would be a problem.  Not sure how you could avoid a user opening a dwg in the wrong application, other than with training.  Do they open the files right from Vault CLient, or with the "Open from Vault" in the CAD application?

Message 3 of 4
Lance127
in reply to: Winks87

We have AutoCAD/ and Inventor files in the same folder. We use Idw's for Inventor though so there isn't a problem with AutoCAD users opening Inventor files.

What flavor of Vault are you using?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 4 of 4
Winks87
in reply to: Lance127

We just installed Vault Pro 2013.  We are transferring drawings from a previous document control software to the Vault.  We were using the vault supplied w/Product design suite for the Inventor stuff and now are pulling everything into Vault Pro (Inventor & Autocad).  Thanks for the replies folks.  I'm sure I will be posting more as this progresses.

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report