Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Vault to Users Globally

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tahdesign1
318 Views, 6 Replies

Assigning Vault to Users Globally

In my process of upgrading from Basic 2012 to Pro 2015 I am renaming my Vault.

That means that each user account must be assigned to use this new Vault name in ADMS.

Is there any way outside of editting each users individually to do that?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tahdesign1

How did you rename the Vault, detach then reattach with a different name?

I think the most efficient way would be to create a global group, add all users to that group, then assign the new Vault to that group.  All users in the group will then inherit the access.

However that depends on the extent to which you've used groups already, but other than that there's no way in the standard product to multi-edit users.

Message 3 of 7
tahdesign1
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I am renaming the Vault through several processes going from Basic 2012 to Pro 2015

1. Restore Basic 2012
  2. Detach, then rename mdf and idf files for new name
  3. Reattach with new name
  4. Move file store to new name

So at the end I have Database, Filestore, and the Vault all reflecting the new name.

Regretfully I have not used groups to this point so assigning users to a group with those permissions would be just as labor intensive.

Oh well, only has to be done once.

I have "rehearsed" this Server build three times now and will just add this step to my procedure.

Message 4 of 7
Neil_Cross

It shouldn't be that bad then? You can very easily bulk load all the user's into one group and then just tick the new vault against that group. Job should be then done. However I guess it depends how many users you have, if it's less than around 100 active users I'd personally just grin and bear it, pain in the behind but it's a one off thing. If you're talking a couple hundred or more them I'd be tempted to go with the group as a temporary measure.
Message 5 of 7
tahdesign1

I do have less than 100 users so I could just go through it piece meal.

However, I just did a test on the new ADMS.

I created a defualt group that is Document Editor (Level 2) with access to the new Vault.

I mass selcted all users and added them to that group.

That all seems to have worked quickly.

However that brings up some questions on using groups and permission sets.

The vast majority of my users are just Document Editor (Level 2).

My self and a couple of others are Administrator

So since we are all part of the default group that has Document Editor (Level 2) set. Does that overide or mess up the few that have other permissions?

Or does it make everyone start of with what the group setting has and the extra roles can then be assign at the user profile.

Message 6 of 7
Neil_Cross

Well I assume if they're existing users, they'll already have the Document Editor Level 2 role assigned into their user account directly? If so, you can just leave the role assignment blank in the group, and it'll use the role applied explicitly to their user account.  That'll then also respect your Administrator role.

I personally haven't tested it, but if you have a role assigned to group level, but then a higher Administrator role assigned directly into a user, I would expect it to respect that too.  It would be pretty easy to test that quickly on a test system, if you can't, let me know here and I'll test it on one of my systems.

Message 7 of 7
tahdesign1

Thanks I have already done that test.

I made the group and assigned it to every user. So now every user by default has Doc Ed 2 and access to the new Vault.

Myself and two others also had Admin set explicitly in our user accounts.

I logged in as a normal user and tried to delete a file. That action was blocked due to Vault restrictions. That user did not have the option to overwrite that restriction and do the deletion anyway.

I then logged in as myself and tried the same file. I was able to overwrite the restriction and delete the file.

So it appears that I can use the default group as the overall Vault Access and permission level.

Then flavor the other permissions on a user basis.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report