Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign /Update from Project Explorer

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cbenner
217 Views, 2 Replies

Assign /Update from Project Explorer

In Vault 2015, from Project Explorer, we have a tool labeled Assign/Update Item.  To me this sounds like, if I select a file that is already assigned an Item, it will update that Item.  If I select a file that is not already assigned an Item, it will assign the Item.

update.png

Is this not the intended functionality?  Because what is happening is: (and this may be the cause of some of the lost link issues I've been seeing), if a user selects a group of files already assigned to Items, and uses this tool... it creates a duplicate set of Items for these files and steals the primary file link from the previously exisitng Item.  Updating these Items from inside Item Master does not do this.

If it is intended functionality, and this should only be used to assign new Items... then maybe the word Update needs to come off this tool?  BTW, in Item settings, Auto Select First Duplicate IS checked.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
r.smith1
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris,
Will you do us a favor, create a Autodesk Screencast showing the workflow to replicate this behavior, so we have a video to review in the off chance we can't replicate this behavior?
https://screencast.autodesk.com/

Many thanks!

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
cbenner
in reply to: r.smith1

I can do that, but that will create for me a set of duplicates that need to be deleted, and a set of originals that need to be relinked... I'm trying to avoid more work.  I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:

I can't reproduce my own problem.  This is frustrating.  If it happens again, I'll let you know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report