Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aseembly suddenly an attachment?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cbenner
348 Views, 6 Replies

Aseembly suddenly an attachment?

Hey all,

Inventor Pro 2013 and Vault pro 2013. 

Has anyone ever seen this?  2 days ago, the "tree" structure shown here looked normal, with the Full Assembly inline with all of the other sub assemblies used in my drawing.  Suddenly last night as I checked the drawing in, it showed up as an attachment.  No idea what I did, but I apparently fubared something pretty good.

attach.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
olearya
in reply to: cbenner

Hey Chris,

Are you able to check out the top level assembly and do a "rebuild all"?  This seems like a bit of model corruption.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: olearya

Hi Allen,

Just got back from a long weekend.  I tried this and it did nothing.  I think I know what I did that casued this, but I don't understand it still, or know how to put it back.... or if I should even care.

I did a copy design of an project, all the drawings and the full assembly.  Our assemblies are 3 layers; -04 is the bottom and is used for the machine frame, -03 is next and includes the -04 and all of the equipment mounted to the frame.  The top level is -02 and includes the -03 equipment layout, and is used to build all of the piping on.  For this job, I copy designed all of that, and re-used the -04 and -03 levels.  But I built a NEW -02 level because the piping was so different.  Then when I opened the drawing, I did a "Replace Model Reference" on the -02 level drawing to point it to the new top level assembly and all of the new piping sub-assemblies.  Then I checked the entire thing in to the Vault, assuming it would put the new -02 from my local drive over the one in the Vault which came from the copy design.  This all seemed to go jsut fine, but the next day when I opened the drawing... the image above is what I saw.

It doens't seem to be affecting performance in any real way.... it's just weird.  And I fear that if I use this job for a future Copy Design, I will just perpetuate whatever I did.

Make any sense at all?

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

Well, I did the simple thing, since these files were all still WIP.  I deleted the drawing from Vault, and checked it back in.  Structure seems to have returned to normal... for now at least.

Message 5 of 7
olearya

Hmm, OK - so lets keep an eye on that and see if it actually reoccurs or is reproducible.

From what I understand of your process description you didn't copy the top level and replace assembly but rather did it at the drawing level.  Is this due to some complexity in the model dependencies or is this a work around for a copy design problem?

We are looking at ways this may be tackled differently in the future.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: olearya

To clarify, I did the copy design from the drawing level so I got the whole thing.  I chose not to reuse the top level .iam since there were so many piping changes it was easier to start clean.  The copied drawing still reflected the copied .iam... so that is when I did the replace reference.  It was after this I first saw the issue.... now that I think back, though, there may have been an unecpected shutdown somewhere in there as well.... could have contributed.

Message 7 of 7
VinceBalge

I've seen the same behavior here in IV Pro 2013. attachment icons seamed to be popping up. I've since migrated to 2014 and haven't come across it yet.

Vince B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report