Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Project = Crash to Desktop

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
251 Views, 9 Replies

Add Project = Crash to Desktop

I have been trying to add my project to Vault, I have been able to get the Project files all switched around to Vault, but am running into trouble when I use the ADD PROJECT in Inventor. I have 950 parts, and I can get at least 50% of the way through before it will CTD.
I do have a few unresolved references, will this cause it to crash??. Personally I don't think thats the case because each time I do this it will accomplish a different percentage each time. Once I was all the way through, but nothing happened after??

I am not sure what should happen after it completes the ADD PROJECT, but if someone could let me know of any tricks, I would appreciate it.

Troy
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I manually opened a couple of the assemblies, and added them to the vault, then I tried the Add Project again, and it worked...

Not sure why it worked, but OK

troy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Some times the Inventor data needs to update to get the "gunk" out...

Under most cases we can handle the unresolved references, but in some cases,
the APIs we used to access the Inventor data doesn't work until it
recomputes.

I often recomend using the migration utility to scrub the data before adding
it to the Vault - this will help update as needed (i like to run a "rebuild
all" as well during this process)

--
Thanks,

Brian Roepke
Product Manager, MSD
Autodesk Data Management
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I’m having quite a lot of trouble vaulting stuff, I have tried pack and go, but this (reseller suggested its not the way for us) caused all sorts of troubles, as I have multiple top-level drawings. So a complete copy to hard drive was suggested more suitable for us. I have run the task scheduler to migrate, (8000 part +) and still having crash as I add project tho IV. I’m running the T/S again with total rebuild checked, I take it "rebuild all" is the same thing?
Are there any other tricks you can give me?
TA in advance.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Forgot my spec:

Precision WorkStation 380
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
2046MB RAM
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 64mb
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7184
space pilot
inventor 10 (sp1 16-08-05)
Vault 4
MDT2006
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I have been advised to run through the 3 gig switch stuff, and change page file sizes to 3000mb, both min & max, even though I haven’t got 3gig of mem. Would this work? I’m worried about the ill effects it may cause.
My pc is ill enough, with all the AD software on it!

Bring on the Hammersmith conference.

Precision WorkStation 380
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
2046MB RAM
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 64mb
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7184
Space pilot
Inventor 10 (sp1 16-08-05)
Vault 4
MDT2006
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Someone please help.

I have tried absolutely everything.
What is the AutoDesk strategy for inputting lots of data into the vault? I bet you haven’t got one!!!

I'm trying to now add little bits to the vault (295mb) but IV still crashes out.

Pllllllllllllllllllllllease AD help!!

Is there any body in there?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

More details would be helpful here...

When inventor crashes, do you get a CER (Crash Error Reporting) Page? Have you sent that in? What details does it contain?

As you've made adjustments to try to get this to work, has anything changed in the symptoms -- e.g., number of files before crash, etc.?

Are there any errors being reported in the server error log? Is the server on the same machine?

As the process goes through, what can you tell us about the Inventor process' resource utilization? You can see this by simultaneously running Task Manager. One useful column to add to its display is "GDI Objects" -- sometimes exhausting the GDI limit (10,000 objects per process) can cause crashes.

Have you tried installing Vault SP2? Does that make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions ... thanks for your help.

If you have a relatively small set of files that reliably causes this to happen, can you send it to us? I can provide FTP link if that helps.

Jeff
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

When inventor crashes, do you get a CER (Crash Error Reporting) Page? Have you sent that in? What details does it contain?

Abosolutely nothing shows, even in the event viewer. IV just disappears.

As you've made adjustments to try to get this to work, has anything changed in the symptoms -- e.g., number of files before crash, etc.?

each time I run "add projects" its gets a little further, say a few more files.

Are there any errors being reported in the server error log? Is the server on the same machine?

Server isnt on the same machine, there is no errors there either. iv dissapears on scanning local files.

As the process goes through, what can you tell us about the Inventor process' resource utilization? You can see this by simultaneously running Task Manager. One useful column to add to its display is "GDI Objects" -- sometimes exhausting the GDI limit (10,000 objects per process) can cause crashes.

cant add any more columns to T/manager, only shows image name, user name, CPU & mem usage.
Whats Inventor process' resource utilization?
its been dissapearing around the 400 files mark.

Have you tried installing Vault SP2? Does that make a difference?
done! no difference, tried the 2 data management server hot fixes too. even got the 3gig switch too!

If you have a relatively small set of files that reliably causes this to happen, can you send it to us? I can provide FTP link if that helps.

no, sorry.

ta JP
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

JP,
Had same problem. Just verifying, did you roll out your Inventor silently from an image? This can mess up your .NETFramework installation. Uninstall Inventor, Vault Client, remove all .NETFramework entries, WSE and J# reboot and reinstall Inventor and Vault without silent option solved it for me. I did not follow complete thread, but also turning off automatically creating and publish dwf's could help. Batches should not be larger than 1000 files max. I found out. Hope this helps and yes you're right it should be easier to get large amounts of data in the Vault. Message was edited by: cube1972

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report