Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 The file has been renamed or moved to new location

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dclausen
1057 Views, 6 Replies

2015 The file has been renamed or moved to new location

In inventor 2014 & vault we usually make a new revision folder and copy old rev to new in windows.  Then we make a new project and re-add to vault.  In 2015 we made a Rev. 6 folder and copied the files from Rev. 5 to Rev. 6 with new project that mapped to Rev. 6 folders.  Now we getting a message saying the files have been renamed or moved to new location.  Also, the Rev. 6 assembly is now pointing back to the rev. 5 assembly.  Screen shots attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: dclausen

Hello,

I'm curious.... if you have Vault why are you copying your files to new folders and adding them back to Vault in order to do revisions... Vault takes care of all of that for you and you can keep as many old revisions as you want.

Message 3 of 7
dominiek_vanwest
in reply to: cbenner

Hi,

We have the exact same problem.

I do understand why you want different versions in different folders. If there are changes to the design, it's possible that you need new files and you don't need other files. If you keep everything in the same folder you have a bunch of files that are redundant. So, better to keep major changes separate.

So, rather than asking why we do this, could someone explain why this "error" occurs and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 4 of 7

Look for a hidden "_V" folder at the same location and under it delete the correponding ".v" file for the assembly in question. The".v" file contains the information related to the original file before copying.

Junyi Zhu

Message 5 of 7

Thank you, that's the solution!

I can't accept it as solution, probably as I'm not the starter of this topic?

Message 6 of 7
swalton
in reply to: dominiek_vanwest

Are you using the Copy Design command in vault to create the new revison files/folder?  This might be a smoother workflow.  

Why are you creating a new project file for each rev? 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 7
dominiek_vanwest
in reply to: swalton

No, we just copied the files locally.

As I said before, we made big changes to the design meaning some parts were new, others we didn't need anymore. That's why we made a new folder.

If there's only a small change we check-out, make the change and check-in again.

So it's not for each revision 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report