Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 - Vault browser in Inventor

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
karthur1
1397 Views, 21 Replies

2013 - Vault browser in Inventor

In 2013 Inventor, when I change to the Vault browser, and there are some files with the black "X" in a circle, when I hover the mouse of it, it just says "Checked-out".  Is that not obvious by the "X"?

If I do the same thing in 2011, It says "Checked Out (by <username>)".  Ths is MUCH better.

Looks like we are going the wrong way on this.

2012-06-11_0742.png

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: karthur1

Hi,

I just checked that in Inventor 2013 and Vault 2013. I do see the user name info in the tooltip like below. Am I missing something?

2013 Browser.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil,

Sorry, my bad.  I was hovering over a file in the browser that I had checked out myself.... of course it just says checked out and not checked out (by usename) if it is yourself that has it out.

Thanks

Message 4 of 22

I just wanted to add something for review.

Why do we need vault panel browser? Why not add these vault icons in the modeling browser or assembly browser.

It can save many clicks.

Dan 

Message 5 of 22
karthur1

I use a macro to toggle from the model browser to the vault browser. I have it assigned to a hotkey. That works pretty well for me.
Message 6 of 22
Dan_Margulius

yes a macro is nice but you still toggle.

when in vault browser you can't do "Find in browser" to a part in sub assy . I have to drill down the browser 

and find it just to see its status.

Dan

Message 7 of 22

Dan,

We do have Vault Menu in the Model browser as well as in Canvas. But we do not have the Vault status icons in both these places. Does that help you?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 22

Hi,

I was talking about Vault status icons. I think that AD should put them in the Assembly panel and they will be active only for Vault projects. This can be turn on /off toolbar or something. in this way i can see online whats the status of the file.

Now I have to toggle al the time and it is annoying. 

Thanks,

Dan

Message 9 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

The "find in Browser" works for me when I am in the Vault browser.  Even for a part that is down deep in a sub assembly.

If you want it, below is the macro that I use to toggle back and forth between the model and vault browser. I have this assigned to a hotkey and that is quicker than moving the mouse and clicking twice.

Sub Toggle_Model_Vault()

On Error Resume Next

If ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.BrowserPanes.ActivePane.Name = "Model" Then
ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.BrowserPanes.Item("Vault").Activate
Exit Sub
End If

If ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.BrowserPanes.ActivePane.Name = "Vault" Then
ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.BrowserPanes.Item("Model").Activate
Exit Sub
End If

End Sub

Message 10 of 22
Dan_Margulius

Hi,

Find in browser shows me the part in the assembly panel not vault panel. Even if i toggle to Vault panel and

do find in browser INV jumps back to assembly panel. Then I switch back to Vault panel to see the icon status of the file. 

Imagine now the browser of 5000 parts assembly....

Thanks

Dan

Message 11 of 22
karthur1

Dan,

Find in Browser works here with either model or vault browser active.

Here is a video clip from Inventor 2011 and Vault 2012.  I changed to part component then selected a part that is buried down inside a sub, then selected "find in Browser" (sorry that it is out of the window).

http://screencast.com/t/fcq65PEP3

I would ask what version you are using, but as far as I know, it has worked this way for a long time.

Message 12 of 22
Senthil_Kumar

Dan,

I verified that Find in Browser works in 2013 when we are Vault browser inside Inventor.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 22

OK, My turn with the video now :

http://screencast.com/t/LbxkVzi4Ue0J

What do you think? i have installed Update 1 for Inventor 2013 today

Dan

Message 14 of 22

What you see in my video is what always happened. 

It is happening on other computes  also. 

I was suprised that you two says this is not as design.

Dan

Message 15 of 22
karthur1

Dan,

Right at the very end of the video, you select the part in the graphics window and then you select "Find in browser".  You have the vault browser displayed and it goes to that part in the vault browser.

All that looks right.... Maybe I dont understand your problem.

When you do a video capture, try to reduce the window size.  It looks like your monitor is like HUGE and its difficult to see everything thats going on on my small monitor.  Wish Jing would allow us to scale/zoom the view window, but we cant.  Just saying.

Message 16 of 22
Dan_Margulius

I will upload again a smaller movie window. On my Inv Find in Browser jumps to assembly panel and I have to toggle back to Vault panel to see the status. In your movie Find in Browser jumps in the Vault browser only. 

http://screencast.com/t/79gE2DiTf

Thanks

Dan

Message 17 of 22
karthur1

oh yes, see that now. (vid is much easier to view, btw).  I would try a repair install on both Inventor and vault client.

Other than that, I dont know why the browser would jump back and forth like that.  That has to be frustrating.

Message 18 of 22
Dan_Margulius

it has always jumped for me like that. I saw in other computers also jumps.

Thats why I asked for the vault icons to be in the assy panel.

It drives me crazy to look for it twice.

Dan

Message 19 of 22
Senthil_Kumar

Dan,

I think I found the issue you are mentioning. Refer the following image.

FINB.png

When you are in Vault Browser  "Find in Browser" command appears Both in marking menu as well as in the Context Menu

Selecting the command from Context Menu always goes to Vault Browser. Selecting the command from Marking Menu goes to Assembly Browser.

But I see that the command is not available in the Context Menu in the Model Browser. Only available in the Marking Menu. This is different from 2012 release. In Inventor 2012, the command is available only in context menu and they behave correctly as per the Browser ( Model/Vault). I am checking about this change.

Hope the above helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 22

Good, it's a bug. It means it can be fixed and it is not "as designed".

Tell Vault team over there i want compensetion for the frustation caused day by day 🙂 

Thanks

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report