Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 to 2014 Restore issues

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tahdesign1
307 Views, 2 Replies

2012 to 2014 Restore issues

So I had originally posted this in another thread that is actually marked as solved from the original question.

I am reposting in a new thread because this needs attention for me to move forward.

OK so my backup from ADMS 2012 Basic from the old server appears to have successfully restored to ADMS 2014 Basic on the new server. I have installed the 2014 Basic Client and can log in and see the files within the restored 2014 Vault. However, I have not attempted to use any applications (Inventor primarily) to pull down any files yet. There are a dew things that I am seeing that I do not understand.

• Upon completion of the restore and migration, ADMS said it was successful and something like a File Store Validation had been scheduled. I have looked throughout the ADMS console and Windows Task Scheduler but do not see anything for this. Any idea what this is and when it will run so I know the restore is totally complete?

• I had previously asked the question about including the standard content in my original backup. I was told that I could exclude that since I intended to install the 2014 content on the new server. By not including that the backup would still get all the content that had actually been used in the designs, it would just not pull the install source libraries. So on my server I had, before the restore, installed the 2014 standard content source libraries. However, it appears that the restore from 2012 wiped those out (see image 2014). Does this mean that I needed to install the 2014 Standard Source Libraries AFTER the restore since it appears the restore wipes them out?

• Even though I was able to look at the restored Vault using the 2014 client and it seems correct (I just looked at what I knew were some of the most recent file areas being added) there are some differences in the console information screens that I do not understand. Please refer to attached images 2012 and 2014. Here are the difference I do not understand.
  • Database size: 2014 is larger than 2012 (6.91 GB vs 6.64 GB)
  • File store size does not match: 2012 is 139.79 GB while 2014 shows 1.24 GB / 97.55 GB. So not only are they different but what does it mean with the / between the numbers.
  • Number of Files in Store does not match: 2012 shows 321443 while 2014 shows 3443 / 235801. Once again they are different and what does the / between the number indicate.

Please note that I am only testing at the moment so if there is something I need to do or change about my methods that is the information  I am looking for.

A couple of things I would probably do before I make the actual move:

1. Purge the old vault. I assume this would be clearing out all the older versions of files.
  2. defragment the database (after purging)

I feel that I am very close to having the proper method for moving and testing our setups to 2014 but I really need to understand these issues.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ihayesjr
in reply to: tahdesign1

First, it is really good to here that you are performing upgrade testing prior to deploying it on the production server.

• The file store validation should have already happened or it will happen overnight. However if you open the Vault Server Tasks dialog from the ADMS Console -> Select Tools menu, you should see the task and when it is scheduled.
  • The restore process will remove all databases, including the content center libraries.  You need to add the 2014 libraries after you perform the restore.
  • The database size will be larger since it went throught the migration process.  This is ok.
  • Wait until tomorrow to check the file store size and check the logs to see if the file store was cleaned up of orphan files or files that were duplicated in the file store due to the 2012 release.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 3
tahdesign1
in reply to: ihayesjr

Irvin,

Thank you, this information parallels replies I got in the older thread this was also posted in.

The validation did complete itself yesterday and all seems fine.

I did review the log files and it appears that the Filestore Validation completed without any of the cleanups you mentioned.

The one thing I do notice in all the logs are bunch of Error: Soap Exception entries however everything appears to be fine.

One other question on the restore process. When looking at the old Vault it says that Defragmentation Recommended. Once the backup was restored to the new Vault it also said Defragmentation Recommended. However after the Filesstore Validation had completed it now says Defragmentation Not Recommended. Did the Validation somehow take care of that?

My path here is to move us up to Vault Basic 2014 (Vault and Clients) then to install Pro 2014 in place over Basic. I then will move us up to 2015 pro before I start develop life cycles and the like.

Not sure where I will be in this process before I go to AU this year but I hope to hear some good information on the 2015 product to help guide me along.

Hope to see you there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report