Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£20 Reward to the first person who can explain this

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Neil_Cross
581 Views, 6 Replies

£20 Reward to the first person who can explain this

The attached video shows exactly why, at times, but on a quite frequent basis these days, I feel a somewhat overwhelming urge to take a sledge hammer to my Vault server and go back to using a filing cabinet.

I know Vault inside out and back to front, short of understanding it at SQL table level, and when I see stuff like this I just hang my head in defeat.

Be under no illusions, make no presumptions, the Item in the video is brand new and as simple as it gets.  It has 17 versions because I'd edited/updated it that often trying to troubleshoot it before I made the video.  The Item has never been released, it was originally linked to a basic A4 AutoCAD DWG with no xrefs or links to any other entity.  This, is a basic simple standalone Item.

I will personally hand over £20 to anyone who can explain why the hell it says the Item has a link to a parent.  I will not take 'Vault is crap' or 'its obviosuly a bug' as a valid answer.

On a side note.  Selecting 'Update' on the item will list 6-7 other Items as if the Item has a BOM.  Renumbering this Item to anything else works, but then Vault still thinks the original Item number is still in use.  It's... I give up.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LOONYLEN
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Have you tried checking the box that says ignore restrictions?

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 3 of 7
Neil_Cross

Aye, I know how to delete an item.  I was asking if anyone can explain why an Item would think it has an active link to a parent when there is clearly no link or 'where used' data at all.  

Message 4 of 7
Lance127

Did it have a parent link at any time in it's life?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 5 of 7

Neil

You know me, anything for £20.....

As you know, we dont use Items, but weve had similar problems with assemblies...

You tried purging the items? (if you can) thats how we fixed the iam files

If you cant purge Items then i guess no £20........

Cheers

Graeme

Message 6 of 7

I concur - purging is the way forward. Half that money should be mine now
Message 7 of 7
mikel_martin

Most likely the issue is that an older version of that parent Item is referencing the Item that can not be deleted.

Please note that ,even if you were to delete the parent item you may still see this message when deleting the child for as long as 24 hours.

Doing all operations in real time can be too costly (in perfromance) so we often have background processes that clean up data later.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report