Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Pro vs Basic

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
johan.degreef
1880 Views, 10 Replies

Vault Pro vs Basic

Why would a company choose for Vault Pro above Basic?

That's the choice I am going to face soon.

- We do not need replication to other offices

- We want as much freedom as possible in regards to "Inventoir without Vault"

- main goal is to re use assemblies from older project in new project (which might modified slightly)

- Our company is also looking for an ERP system to use.

- Work @Anonymous = check out a project for a week (or 2) and check back in when in the office.

Inventor 2024, Autocad Plant 3D 2024, Vault Professional 2024
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

For any Vault integration with your ERP, you will need the Pro version.

Vladimir Michl, www.arkance-systems.cz - www.cadforum.cz

Message 3 of 11
DEDE2232
in reply to: johan.degreef

With Vault Workgroup or Vault Professional you have the benefit of using Lifecycle Management that helps you see the state of the design. Vault Basic also does not provide an API. With Vault Workgroup or Vault Professional you will find a ton of useful extensions that will help you to automate your processes, like publishing neutral format documents, like PDF, DXF or STEP. With powerGate from COOLORANGE you even can have an ERP-integration to Vault Workgroup and it can also be embedded into Inventor.

Message 4 of 11
ihayesjr
in reply to: DEDE2232

@johan.degreef 

You can review the following AU class.

Vault: What Is It and Why Do I Need It? | Autodesk University

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 11
johan.degreef
in reply to: ihayesjr

@ihayesjr Great class.

1. Do I understand correctly that the Vault Basic version of "Copy Design" is less then the workgroups/pro version of "copy design"?

2. If you choose to go for Pro, to have all the extra stuff. Can Pro be configured to be as "forgiven" as Vault Basic, with regards to being always as status "Work in progress" on files?

3. Can you just opt to not use lifecycles with Vault Pro Kinda disable Lifecicles?

Message 6 of 11
ihayesjr

@johan.degreef wrote:

@ihayesjr Great class.

1. Do I understand correctly that the Vault Basic version of "Copy Design" is less then the workgroups/pro version of "copy design"?

2. If you choose to go for Pro, to have all the extra stuff. Can Pro be configured to be as "forgiven" as Vault Basic, with regards to being always as status "Work in progress" on files?

3. Can you just opt to not use lifecycles with Vault Pro Kinda disable Lifecicles?

1. Yes, Vault Workgroup and Professional have a different version of Copy Design.
  2. Yes, you are not required to use lifecycles when you upgrade from Vault Basic. All files will continue to be in the state there were in when you used Vault Basic.
  3. Lifecycles cannot be disabled but you don't have to use them.

One thing to know, Vault Professional is Revision based and Vault Basic is Version based. You will see Get and other functions working differently than they did in Vault Basic.

I recommend that you work with a partner to get a good understand of the difference between the two editions before upgrading.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
johan.degreef

@ihayesjr wrote:

One thing to know, Vault Professional is Revision based and Vault Basic is Version based. You will see Get and other functions working differently than they did in Vault Basic.

I recommend that you work with a partner to get a good understand of the difference between the two editions before upgrading.

I think this is very important knowledge to make a correct disciccions. So Autodesk itself don't document this is lecture, classes or anywhere else?

Of course you read a 1000 times the same comparing sheet between Basic, Workspace and Pro, but every time this crucial information is not mentioned. https://www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/vault

Message 8 of 11
ihayesjr

@johan.degreef 

While I do understand that this information can be hard to find, the Help does section out things that are different between the Vault editions.

Also, there are a lot of AU classes on Vault that detail workflows of Vault Professional.

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/au-online?query=Vault+Professional

Nothing can replace talking to a partner where they can help you go into the details of your workflows and give you the best possible recommendations to deploy and use the software.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
johan.degreef

ok, that are hours of video's to watch....

There must be a clear definition of what means working with Basic vs Pro, or what it means to work with versions instead of working with revisions? I guess everyone makes assemblies with parts in them, and then create drawing from it.

Or is it just a simple as saying "It depends on your workflow". I need video's or other sources showing both workflows, inventor cooperating with Vault (not only the Vault only videos) so I can descide if we will be better of going the Vault way (and which one) or leaving things as it is, right?

Message 10 of 11
ihayesjr

We have a high-level list here. Compare Vault Products | Vault | Autodesk

We could go into a lot of details about each, which is in the Help but that still will not get you where you want to be.

In the end, it depends on a few things.

• What problem(s) are you trying to solve?
  • What workflows do you want to improve?
  • How can you get the most out of the software you purchased?

You may not get this from reading pages of differences between editions. You can get this by talking to a partner where they can get an understanding of where you are today and where you want to be tomorrow.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 11
ihayesjr

Here is an example of the differences in the Get and Checkout workflow in each edition.

Vault 2022 Help | Get or Check Out a File with the Vault Client | Autodesk

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report