Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2009 - "Error getting relative resource path."

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bbeilke
833 Views, 4 Replies

Vault 2009 - "Error getting relative resource path."

Since upgrading to Vault 2009 a couple of weeks ago, we have been getting intermittent "Error getting relative resource path" errors when checking files into Vault. After the first occurance, I did some research here and found that one possible problem has to do with user permissions for the user "AutodeskVault". We gave this user "full control" permissions to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\VaultServer\FileStore" folder and are still experiencing this problem.

One of the first times this problem popped up, the user had a part file that was resulting in this error. He tried to Vault that part a couple of times to no avail and then went to lunch. When he returned, he tried again and was able to check-in the file as normal. Recently, one of our users has has trouble with 2 particular small assemblies (A-00005098.iam and A-00005099.iam). He has been checking in other assemblies and files without any trouble. I had him try to Vault these files periodically throughtout the day but he never was successful.

I have attached the yesterday's vlog file. (Note: I had asked him to try to Vault the files every half hour or so but he was a tad more impatient than that.)

The user tried to Vault A-00005098.iam at these times: 10:06, 10:16, 10:26, 10:31, 10:36, 10:41, 10:46, 10:51, 10:56, 11:01, 11:09, 11:11, 11:17, 11:21, 11:28, 11:34, 11:39, 11:44, 11:48, 11:51, 11:58, 1:05, 1:35, 4:08

The user tried to Vault A-00005099.iam at these times: 10:12, 10:21, 10:26, 10:32, 10:37, 10:42, 10:47, 10:52, 10:57, 11:02, 11:12, 11:18, 11:22, 11:29, 11:58, 1:06, 1:35

Any insight any of you may have would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs any additional information, just ask.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: bbeilke

It looks like somehow the file permissions on the
vault filestore have become incorrect. The filestore needs to allow Windows ACL
permission to the user vault runs under [by default this is the AutodeskVault
windows user].

Could you try running ADMS console on the server
and see if it detects and corrects the problem? If not, the permissions can be
set via Windows Explorer. I can give you some directions on how to do
this.

Paul Gunn
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Sorry - I missed the part of your email where you
set the permissions. This definitely looks like a permissions problem though -
based on the entries in the log file. I have to say though that the intermittant
nature of the problem is strange too.

One user on this group ran into a situation where
the microsoft indexing server was locking files. I wonder if that might be the
problem here too? You might want to try temporarily disabling the indexing
service or removing the filestore directory from indexing.

Paul Gunn
Message 4 of 5
bbeilke

Paul,

Thanks for the responses. We tried disabling indexing on the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\VaultServer\FileStore" folder, but that didn't help. But that leads to a point of confusion for me.

All of the discussion about permissions seems to focus on the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\VaultServer\FileStore" folder. From another thread:

It is possible that the filestore directory on the server does not have the correct windows security [ACL] permissions. The filestore directory is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\VaultServer\FileStore

However, the error message in our vlog file says "Access to the path 'D:\Vault\RSG_Vault\000\000\000\000\000\031\31036\31036_91394_3.iam' is denied." For the record, the literal "C:\...FileStore" folder referenced above on our server contains nothing but log (txt) files (no subfolders at all). The area where all of our Inventor files are actually stored is on a different physical hard drive (D:) and does not have the name "FileStore". We reapplied security permissions for the AutodeskVault user on "D:\Vault" and were subsequently able to check in the 2 assemblies with which we previously had trouble.

Only time will tell whether or not this problem resurfaces. And I still don't understand why this apparent permissions issue would only affect a small percentage of the files that we have been checking into Vault since our upgrade. But I really appreciate the help you provided in this and other threads.

Blane
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Blane,

By default, filestores are created under the
'c:\docum...\Filestore' directory. However That is just the default root
location - every vault has its own filestore and when you create the vault you
do have the option of choosing any location. Or at some later time, the
filestore could be relocated to a different location. In this particular
case, D:\Vault was the filestore for your particular vault [you can see it in
ADMS console if you click on the vault].

That said, ADMS console should have detected the
insufficient permissions and corrected the problem. So I am not sure how you got
into the situation - especially for a limited set of files. It does sound to me
that reapplying the permissions was the right thing to do - and I'd anticipate
it will have fixed the problem

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report