Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you recommend the Vault?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jmlip
167 Views, 7 Replies

Do you recommend the Vault?

Hi,

We have 3 seats of I9 Series and 15 AutoCAD. It is my understanding that we can not use the vault for all of our drawings since we only have 3 seats of Inventor. Is that true?
Also, what is your opinion of the vault? Is it easy to use? Is it easy to learn and setup?

Thanks in advance!

Joan
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jmlip

According to the EULA AutoCAD 2005 is a qualifying product & you should be able to use the Vault with it. Yes, it's easy to use. No, it's not easy to learn. Yes, it's easy to set up. Browse through the posts here to see what issues people are having. "joanl" wrote in message news:20500973.1105979131634.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi, > > We have 3 seats of I9 Series and 15 AutoCAD. It is my understanding that we can not use the vault for all of our drawings since we only have 3 seats of Inventor. Is that true? > Also, what is your opinion of the vault? Is it easy to use? Is it easy to learn and setup? > > Thanks in advance! > > Joan
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

You can in fact get a free download of the Vault (3) client for ACAD 2005. They do have to be on subscription to use this however. you can download it from the subscription center. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager, MSD Autodesk Data Management
Message 4 of 8
jmlip

Thanks! That's really great to know that we can use it for AutoCAD as well. We are on subscription. Do you recommend some training?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I requested some consulting & was turned down so I've had to go it on my own. I would recommend some training just to get up to speed in a hurry but don't take anyone's word as gospel. There are a lot of different ways to implement Vault & only you can decide which one is best for your company & work flow. Also consider why you are considering using it. Ask yourself: Do I have a particular problem I am trying to solve or is a particular feature worth the added administrative overhead? In our attempt to standardize several divisions we've decided the Vault with it's auto-publish & Where Used features are now worth the extra effort. "joanl" wrote in message news:3393464.1105997609506.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks! That's really great to know that we can use it for AutoCAD as well. We are on subscription. Do you recommend some training?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

In my reading, however, it would seem that MS SQL is a requirement for a vault serving >10 users, no? "joanl" wrote in message news:20500973.1105979131634.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi, > > We have 3 seats of I9 Series and 15 AutoCAD. It is my understanding that we can not use the vault for all of our drawings since we only have 3 seats of Inventor. Is that true? > Also, what is your opinion of the vault? Is it easy to use? Is it easy to learn and setup? > > Thanks in advance! > > Joan
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

As I understand it this is a limitation of MSDE. It means 10 at the same time, not 10 total. "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:41f0474f$1_2@newsprd01... > In my reading, however, it would seem that MS SQL is a requirement for a > vault serving >10 users, no? > > > "joanl" wrote in message > news:20500973.1105979131634.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Hi, > > > > We have 3 seats of I9 Series and 15 AutoCAD. It is my understanding that > we can not use the vault for all of our drawings since we only have 3 seats > of Inventor. Is that true? > > Also, what is your opinion of the vault? Is it easy to use? Is it easy > to learn and setup? > > > > Thanks in advance! > > > > Joan > >
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

The limit of 10 is based on the OS you are using. Windows 2000 Pro and Win XP Pro have a limit of 10 concurrent connections. If you want more then 10 concurrent users you need to install the server on a Windows Server OS. MSDE does not have a connection limitation, but MSDE has two different limitations. The first is the database size, which is limited to 2 GB and the second is MSDE puts a workload governor in the processing of SQL commands. This means if you are using the server a lot MSDE will insert a delay before processing a command. Thus as MSDE is used more its performance gets worse which forces you to upgrade to full SQL. For most shops I do not think that the workload governor will be a problem. I my opinion where or not you need full SQL depends on how big your database is getting (and if you are willing to jump to a new Vault as the old one gets big) and if your usage of Vault is so extreme that it causes the governor to kick in. This can be checked by looking at the server log files or by asking MSDE using SQL Server Query Analyzer or osql.exe and run the following T-SQL statement: DBCC CONCURRENCYVIOLATION As and FYI... In my testing I have never seen the MSDE governor kick in. Robert Angus Autodesk "Dave Hoder" wrote in message news:41f058a1$1_1@newsprd01... > As I understand it this is a limitation of MSDE. It means 10 at the same > time, not 10 total. > > "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message > news:41f0474f$1_2@newsprd01... >> In my reading, however, it would seem that MS SQL is a requirement for a >> vault serving >10 users, no? >> >> >> "joanl" wrote in message >> news:20500973.1105979131634.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > Hi, >> > >> > We have 3 seats of I9 Series and 15 AutoCAD. It is my understanding > that >> we can not use the vault for all of our drawings since we only have 3 > seats >> of Inventor. Is that true? >> > Also, what is your opinion of the vault? Is it easy to use? Is it >> > easy >> to learn and setup? >> > >> > Thanks in advance! >> > >> > Joan >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report