Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Data Standard "Disable" Command

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bverboort
1360 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Data Standard "Disable" Command

So in reviewing the documentation...

I see that there is an "Enable" and "Disable" command on the ribbon inside the CAD environment for this extension.

Does this do what it appears it does?... Disable/Enable the Data Standard functionality?

If so, that's just plain silly. What's to keep a user from disabling it and going back to their "rougue" behavior?

If this isn't what "Disable" does... What does it do?

Any informed clarification welcomed.

Best,

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marco.mirandola
in reply to: bverboort

Hi Brian, yes, the disable button in the ribbon of AutoCAD and Inventor disables temporary the Data Standard functionalities. This was a loud customer requirement in order to open non Vaulted files and make small modification. Companies are different in purpose and workflow. Such customers have either legacy data or receive CAD files from external, via email, ftp, usb stick, whatever. They need to open such files, make changes, save them and don't want to have Data Standard to interefere.

The alternative for them would be to disable the add-in in the add-in manager, but this is kind of odd. they can now simply disable VDS for the short time they don't needed it and reactivate it afterwards.

Btw. if you don't like to expose such commands to the user, you can simply remove them from the ribbon. This is what most customers do. However, keep in mind that the add-in could also be disabled, also the Vault add-ins like any other.

On a personal note, a co-worker that deliberately disable such functionality works on the wrong place. The goal is to better work together, and Data Standard is a great way to streamline and simplify the workflow.

I hope this gives an answer to your question.

ciao

marco

coolOrange
www.coolorange.com
Message 3 of 5
bverboort
in reply to: marco.mirandola

Thanks Marco,

Yes, very helpful. Makes sense. Seems reasonable.

I have a customer who will no doubt be asking this question,

I agree completely. If staff can't comply with policy, they either need to be educated or fired.

Best,

Brian

Message 4 of 5

Ciao Marco,

Could you precise how to remove the commands Enable/Disable from the Data Standard tab?

Best regards.

Message 5 of 5
Leon.VASSE
in reply to: bverboort

Hi there!

Educating or firing Staff, why not.

Rather than incriminate people or spend training time, I prefer to eliminate the mishandling rootcause by suppressing the undesired buttons.

This topic seems to have been handled in Data Standard 2022, how to achieve the same result in Data Standard 2019?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/disable-data-standard-in-inventor-2022/m-p/10239037

Best regards!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report