Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant vs Non-Significant Part Numbers

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
jeff_jordan
767 Views, 0 Replies

Significant vs Non-Significant Part Numbers

Are we really advancing? Or are we stuck in the old way of thinking?

Our company would like to institute a non-significant numbering scheme. Fortunately, we are starting from scratch and have no legacy files to worry about. Thanks to PDM software, it's possible to search on properties rather than dissecting a significant part number. Significant part number schemes are no longer needed! This makes part numbering much more convenient and there is no need to have a separate database or excel spreadsheet logging the numbers. All you would have is a sequential "serial number" as your part number to make the part unique. However, Vault could do a better job of automated numbering schemes to further expand their capabilities and open the door for further advancement. Here's why:

With Vault's Custom Number Scheme, you can only assign a part number to a file name. This works great for significant part numbers. But to move toward a non-sig scheme (which has become a big push from a lot of people) I feel strongly that applying a part number to a file name is no longer needed. Instead, I feel the custom numbering scheme should be applied to the part number iproperty. In other words, I don't want the numbering scheme to affect my filenames. This creates problems with skeletal modeling,"make components", and copying designs. The old way of doing things meant that a change in the part number (during pre-release design) would mean a change in the filename. And we all know how changes in the filename effects links. (Vault makes renaming files easy, but if you don't clear your workspace, there is risk of problems.) Why have a part number part of a filename???

Ideally, it would be nice to be able to choose when to assign a part number to the part number iproperty (perhaps trigger upon release) and have this number be automatically generated as the next number in a sequence. Having a rule that is triggered every time a file is created will churn through too many numbers (think how many times you start a file and then bail).

Just thinking. And trying to make things easier for all of us.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
MacbookPro OSx 10.9, Boot Camp
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report