Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull drawing numbers

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
meck
488 Views, 5 Replies

Pull drawing numbers

Is there a way using code to pull a drawing number from Vault from our custom number scheme? We're using Vault Pro 2013.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Vladimir.Ananyev
in reply to: meck

If you need to get your drawing file property (e.g., Part Number) from Vault using Vault API then the following DevBlog posts could be useful:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2013/11/vault-2014-api-example-getting-property-values-o... 

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2013/12/getting-properties-of-file-interation-with-vault...

Vladimir Ananyev
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 6
meck
in reply to: Vladimir.Ananyev

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm looking for. We have a custom drawing numbering scheme set up in Vault, that assigns a drawing number to a file when saving in AutoCAD or Inventor. The problem is we would like to be able to assign a block of numbers all at once. Right now we are opening a blank AUtoCAD document and saving it and writting down the number that Vault assigns it. I'm looking for a way to have Vault set aside a block of numbers using code.

Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 6
adam.nagy

Hi Mike,

Could you please try to clarify the requirement even more? 🙂

Are you opening an empty drawing and saving it just to figure out the next number that Vault would assign?

Are you trying to find out in advance what numbers Vault would assign the next e.g. 10 drawings?

Is that it?

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 5 of 6
meck
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi Adam,

I not only want to know what the next 10 numbers are, I want Vault to allocate them so they cannot be used by anyone else. For instance if the current number is 1000 and I want to use then next 10 number, I want Vault to tell me what the current number is, and the next time someone wants to use a number from Vault they will be "given" the number 1011 by vault.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 6 of 6
Vladimir.Ananyev

Doug Redmond published the post on generation of file names that should give you some ideas:

Generating File Names

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2013/02/generating-file-names.html

These methods

- ReserveFileNamingDescriptions

- GenerateFileNumber

insure that generated file names could not be used for other files.

Cheers,

Vladimir Ananyev
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report