Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max length for UDP names and the naming rule

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
smilinger
520 Views, 2 Replies

Max length for UDP names and the naming rule

Hi, when working with importing and exporting Vault configurations I find that the .cfg file is actually a zip file, I decompressed the file and looked into these xml files. Then I find that the system name of a UDP is like this: "UDP name-{GUID}". However, there is length limits for the system name, it seems that the total length of the system name cannot exceed 60, if I give a name longer than 21, the last characters of the GUID will be cut off. Is this behaviour OK? Or will it cause some problem?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
barbara.han
in reply to: smilinger

Hi smilinger,

I think this issue should post to Autodesk Vault forum since it's a product issue, where there should be right answer for you.

First the UDP name has a 30 characters length limitation in VP 2012. When New a property through Vault Explorer, you can't type in 31 characters in the name field. 

I now know there is a total 59 characters length limitation for the name in the configure file, after looking at your post. I guess the part of name after "UDP name-" is system name that Vault server generates for the UDP, but it is just not used anywhere in current version, so should not cause any problem. However, I'm afraid that directly changing the configure file is not supported, because the configure file is probably changed in future version.

Barbara Han
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 3
Redmond.D
in reply to: barbara.han

No, it will not cause a problem if the GUID is cut off in the system name.  The GUID component is just there to guarantee uniqueness.

The system name has two aspects to it: 1) it has to be a unique identifier within a Vault and 2) it can't be changed (unlike the display name).

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report