Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load database table into Vault

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tmccar
666 Views, 9 Replies

Load database table into Vault

I am trying to figure out how to upload an SQL database to Vault (or tables from the database). I have one table with 117,000 fields  - each record is related to a drawing. I know that you can create user-defined properties and have them display as columns in Vault Explorer. I would love to be able to upload the complete table into Vault so that it's viewable in the Explorer.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Redmond.D
in reply to: tmccar

Sorry but the Vault database is not something you can customize.  Both the Autodesk Developer Network and Autodesk Support will provide NO ASSISTANCE to an install with a modified database. 
For more information, you can see the "Database Editing" page in the SDK documentation.

The best way to do what you want is to create a user-defined property.  Next write a progam to read your table and set the UDP values for each file.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
tmccar
in reply to: Redmond.D

That's exactly what I want to do - I have no intention of modifying  the Vault database. I want to be able to look up a historical database of drawing numbers containing customer information and various other drawing data..

Message 4 of 10
tmccar

In that case, what about "Bulk Processor 2011" - is this a native Autodesk enhancement to Vault 2012 Pro?

Message 5 of 10
Redmond.D

I'm not sure what "Bulk Processor" tool you are referring to.  I know that Autodesk Consulting has a tool for property import and coolOrange has a product called dataLoader. 

Vault 2012 does not have built-in capabilites to do a bulk import of file properties. 

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
tmccar

How is it that CoolOrange have such a tool - if such modification is prohibited by Autodesk?

Message 7 of 10
Redmond.D

They do it by setting UDP properties through the API.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
tmccar

Ok - so this is allowable? Sorry, I thought this was also modifying the database.

Message 9 of 10
Redmond.D

Sorry.  I should be more specific.  The Vault database cannot be modified directly.  And by directly, I mean opening up a direct connection to SQL Server and performing queries or operations.

If you make a call through our published API and that call ends up modifying the database, then that is OK.  If we didn't want you to do something, we wouldn't have put it in the SDK.

The "Database Editing" page in the SDK documentation goes into more details.

Here is an example of good code:

DocumentService.UpdateFileProperties(...)

Here is an example of bad code:

INSERT INTO VaultProperties (name, value) VALUES ('Author', 'Doug')

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
tmccar

OK, thanks for the explanation

Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report