Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting property values for custom entities using the VDF

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
LienR
527 Views, 2 Replies

Getting property values for custom entities using the VDF

Hi!

During one of our projects I hit a speed bump while writing some code to retrieve values of properties for custom entities.

The getPropertyValue() method expects an IEntity, a PropertyDefinition and optionally a PropertyValueSettings object. My question is why an instance of CustEnt can't be used as an entity in this method? I'm guessing this has something to do with the CustEnt being part of the WebServices namespace, but where can I find the VDF-equivalent of CustEnt? As far as I can see, there is no CustomEntityManager in the VDF namespace? Is the only solution to use the WebServiceManager for operations like these?

BR

Rune

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Redmond.D
in reply to: LienR

They are called Custom Objects in the VDF.  Sometimes the names are a bit different between the Autodesk.Connectivity and the Autodesk.DataManagement namespaces.

So you can use the CustomObjectManager on the Connection object.  You can also use the CustomObject constructor to convert from CustEnt objects.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
LienR
in reply to: Redmond.D

Thank you for your quick answer!

Just to clearify: A custom entity or object needs to be created using the WebServiceManager and the resulting object can then be used to make an instance of a Custom Object in the VDF? Or is there any way of not using the WebServiceManager at all for this?

BR

Rune

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report