Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export data from the Vault WG DB Table to a custom table.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pdauphin
681 Views, 3 Replies

Export data from the Vault WG DB Table to a custom table.

Hello,

I'm a long time Vault user but I just got recently in the customization and programming world. I have a few questions I'd like to ask to you all before I move forward with my plan.

Here is what I want to do:

We are using Vault WG 2012 and we have carfully configured all the aspects of our vault to match how we want our files to be managed. No problem there. The categories, Life Cycles and properties, all works well. But, here is where I need help. I want to export specific data from the SQL Vault Tables and place it in another custom table where I could play around and format the data in a very specific way.

The goal is to format the data in a way that another software, ProfitKey, can read and use.

So I guees my first question is: Is it possible to export data from a Vault WG Table and place that data in another table? If so, is using the Vault's API and SQL coding the right way to go?

Before I start studiying and learning, I want to make sure I'm on the right track. If you have some good starting point on learning all this, please share.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Redmond.D
in reply to: pdauphin

Using the Vault API is the correct way to do things.  Trying to read the data directly from the Vault SQL tables is not supported and very difficult to do. 

I'm not sure what data you want to get at, but it should be all accessable through the Vault API.

It's up to you how to write that data to a custom table.  However, that table should not be in any of the Vault databases.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
pdauphin

Thank you for the answer.

I'm trying to get to the iproperties entered in Inventor and indexed by the Vault. The idea is to pull the values out of the Vault database, place it in a custom table, outside of the vault, and then, have another software read the data that has been properly formated.

I would also like to get the BOM infos... for example: part A is used 4 times in assembly ABC, etc... I don't know if this is possible using Vault WG.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
Redmond.D

Vault Professional is the only Vault product with BOM support. 

In the other products, there is an unsupported way to get BOM information:  you can call GetBOMByFileId.  This way is hard to work with an you only get the immediate children.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report