Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit (UDP) Properties Event

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
orbjeff
1594 Views, 4 Replies

Edit (UDP) Properties Event

I read through Doug's blog and reviewed the 2013 SDK RestrictOperations source code on how to hook to certain Vault events. Is there an event for editing user defined properties? I can't seem to find anything under the PropertyService. These are the only events that seem to be available using the Vault 2013 SDK:

// File Events

DocumentService.AddFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<AddFileCommandEventArgs>(AddFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentService.CheckinFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<CheckinFileCommandEventArgs>(CheckinFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentService.CheckoutFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<CheckoutFileCommandEventArgs>(CheckoutFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentService.DeleteFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<DeleteFileCommandEventArgs>(DeleteFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentService.DownloadFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<DownloadFileCommandEventArgs>(DownloadFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentServiceExtensions.UpdateFileLifecycleStateEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<UpdateFileLifeCycleStateCommandEventArgs>(UpdateFileLifecycleStateEvents_GetRestrictions);

// Folder Events

DocumentService.AddFolderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<AddFolderCommandEventArgs>(AddFolderEvents_GetRestrictions);

DocumentService.DeleteFolderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<DeleteFolderCommandEventArgs>(DeleteFolderEvents_GetRestrictions);

// Item Events

ItemService.AddItemEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<AddItemCommandEventArgs>(AddItemEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.CommitItemEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<CommitItemCommandEventArgs>(CommitItemEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.CommitRollbackItemLifeCycleStatesEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<RollbackItemLifeCycleStateCommandEventArgs>(CommitRollbackItemLifeCycleStatesEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.DeleteItemEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<DeleteItemCommandEventArgs>(DeleteItemEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.EditItemEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<EditItemCommandEventArgs>(EditItemEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.PromoteItemEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<PromoteItemCommandEventArgs>(PromoteItemEvents_GetRestrictions);

ItemService.UpdateItemLifecycleStateEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<UpdateItemLifeCycleStateCommandEventArgs>(UpdateItemLifecycleStateEvents_GetRestrictions);

// Change Order Events

ChangeOrderService.AddChangeOrderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<AddChangeOrderCommandEventArgs>(AddChangeOrderEvents_GetRestrictions);

ChangeOrderService.CommitChangeOrderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<CommitChangeOrderCommandEventArgs>(CommitChangeOrderEvents_GetRestrictions);

ChangeOrderService.DeleteChangeOrderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<DeleteChangeOrderCommandEventArgs>(DeleteChangeOrderEvents_GetRestrictions);

ChangeOrderService.EditChangeOrderEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<EditChangeOrderCommandEventArgs>(EditChangeOrderEvents_GetRestrictions);

ChangeOrderService.UpdateChangeOrderLifecycleStateEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<UpdateChangeOrderLifeCycleStateCommandEventArgs>(UpdateChangeOrderLifecycleStateEvents_GetRestrictions);

// Custom Entity Events

CustomEntityService.UpdateCustomEntityLifecycleStateEvents.GetRestrictions +=new EventHandler<UpdateCustomEntityLifeCycleStateCommandEventArgs>(UpdateCustomEntityLifecycleStateEvents_GetRestrictions);

Jeff Johnson
Technical Consultant
MasterGraphics Inc.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
orbjeff
in reply to: orbjeff

I was directed to the solution found in this post. What I needed was a hook to the "CommandBegin" event. This may look familiar if you have worked with the API before. Written in C#

publicvoid OnLogOn(IApplication application)

{

application.CommandBegin +=

newEventHandler<CommandBeginEventArgs>(Application_CommandBegin);

application.CommandEnd +=

newEventHandler<CommandEndEventArgs>(Application_CommandEnd);

}

publicvoid Application_CommandBegin(object s, CommandBeginEventArgs e)

{

try

{

if (e.CommandId.Equals("EditProperties"))

{

MessageBox.Show("Begin edit properties command!");

}

}

catch (Exception error)

{

handleException(error);

}

}

publicvoid Application_CommandEnd(object s, CommandEndEventArgs e)

{

try

{

if (e.CommandId.Equals("EditProperties"))

{

MessageBox.Show("End edit properties command!");

}

}

catch (Exception error)

{

handleException(error);

}

}

Jeff Johnson
Technical Consultant
MasterGraphics Inc.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hello Jeff,

Yours posts are very interesting ...
I reproduced this too.

However, i don't find how to detect that the "EditProperties" is for example type "Custom Entity" or type "File" etc ...

When i look in Powershell i see :

$vault.CustomEntityService.PostInvokeEvents

ou :

$vault.CustomEntityService.PreInvokeEvents

What is the best way to get the events fired when a "Custom Entity" property is changed ?.

Don't find how to do.

😞

Any help ?

Message 4 of 5
orbjeff
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Well unfortunately there isn't a good way to do this for all EntityTypes but for my application I only needed to know when a "File" property edit was in progress. I noticed that a file property edit also performed a file check out/in operation. So using the "Application_CommandBegin" event (which fires first), I was able to detect that a property edit was in progress and set a global variable to reflect that (bool propEditInProgress = true;).

Next, I intercepted the file check-in event:

DocumentService.CheckinFileEvents.GetRestrictions += new EventHandler<CheckinFileCommandEventArgs>(CheckinFileEvents_GetRestrictions);

From here, I checked if my "propEditInProgress" variable was "true" and that gave me enough information to determine if this was a property edit for the entity type "FILE". Unfortunately I haven't found a similar sequence for ITEM, CO or FLDR.

I seem to recall that I then reset the propEditinProgress back to false in the "Application_CommandEnd" event. This is all from my memory, I don't have the source code to review at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Johnson
Technical Consultant
MasterGraphics Inc.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

You was quick to reply Smiley Wink

Thank u very much.

I understand the

So :

1/

if "EditProperties" then bool propEditInProgress = true

2/

DocumentService.CheckinFileEvents.GetRestrictions

---------

This is ok for type FILE.
But with "Custom Entity" there is no second event to know what is going on.

It's really weird. Only Autodesk's experts can help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report