Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 and Data Standards

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Stemdriller
468 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 and Data Standards

We are trying to implement AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 with Data Standards to try and replace our existing ancient 2D software.

There does not appear to be any support online with forums etc and we are hitting major obstacles.

I have had to recreate the DWT twice now, and on the last recreate everything appeared to be working perfectly properties synchronzing from Vault and then it just stopped!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't even recognise the Workspace anymore and just wants to save everything in c:\Users\.............

If anyone can offer advice I would be most grateful because I am beginning to lose faith 😞

Gareth 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Gareth, i'm not sure what you like to achieve with the DWT file? The way Data Standard works is that which ever mapping you have configured in the cfg file will be automatically applied to the file properties and configured title block if you set the SyncDWGProperty=true. If the property does not exist, it will be created as a custom property.

i made a quick video that shows how the proerty mapping works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v24gnur21tvr54c/DS%20AutoCAD%20prop%20mapping.mp4?dl=0

for the purpose of the video, and even for you in testing, it's not required that the properties are visble in the dialog. it's enough to configure them and set an InitialValue. I suggest to start with the configuring all the properties and set an InitialValue. this way, you see if they work. In the second step you can confgifure the XAML file and do the binding with the interface.

If you could elaborate what you do with the DWT it would help to understand where you got stuck. Also, you may share you cfg and XAML, then i may have a look to what you have configured.

i hope this helps. don't give up, you are almost there...

ciao

marco

coolOrange
www.coolorange.com
Message 3 of 5

Hi Marco

Thanks for all your help so far, I have made progress!!

All my properties are now being populated back and forth to Vault.

I am now having issues with the path definition.

I have created a property within the CFG file called 'TestFolder' and set it's InitialValue to 'TestLocations'

Then I have set the PathDefinition to {Workspace}\{Prop[TestFolder].value} - expecting it to read the value 'TestLocations' but it seems to ignore the property

However if i set the PathDefinition to {Workspace\TestLocations this works ok, can you tell me why it will not read the Property called 'TestFolder'?

Extract of CFG is below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration>
  <PathDefinition>{Workspace}\{Prop[TestFolder].value}</PathDefinition>
  <FileNameDefinition>{Prop[Part Number].value}</FileNameDefinition>
  <PropertyDefinitions>
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Description" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Project" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Part Number" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" InitialValue="{PathAndFileNameHandler.FileNameNoExtension}" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="DrawingRef" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Folder" DataType="Text" RequiresValue="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="TestFolder" DataType="Text" RequiresValue="true" InitialValue="TestLocations" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Comments" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Value Stream" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Frame Code" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Hazardous Area" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="CustDwg" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="State" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
    <PropertyDefinition PropertyName="Scale" DataType="Text" SyncDWGProperty="true" />
  </PropertyDefinitions>

Hope you can help

Thanks

Gareth

Message 4 of 5

Hi Gareth, you were almost there. Write .Value with capital V. So .Value instead of .value, then it will work.

i just treid your configuration on my machine as i could not see any mistake, and it did not work on my side either. so, i looked into the log file in the c:\temp\ folder and found this message:

2014-09-25 18:26:50,158 [1] ERROR dataStandard.InvAddIn.InventorPathAndFileNameHandler - Exception in EvaluateDefinition - InvokeMember(value) for TestFolder: Method 'dataStandard.InvAddIn.InventorNewCustomProperty.value' not found.

it's as usual an error message written by developers for developers, however, i was able to to understand that the property value was not found and i then saw that is was written with small v.

You may wonder, is Data Standard case sensisive? In all trainings where i get this question i give the answer "write it case sensitive, so you don't have to ask " 🙂

pay attention, i saw other properties with same problems, so double check your configuration file. And if it does not work, have a look in the log file. It mostly mpoints you to the right location where to look.

regarding the PathDefinition. You can mix clear text with variables, so for instance you may have a path that is composed by the {Workspace} then a "fixed_text" and then one or more propertis {Prop[TestFolder].value}, such as {Workspace}\FixedText\{Prop[TestFolder].value}

this way, you can really create very custom expressions.

ciao

marco

coolOrange
www.coolorange.com
Message 5 of 5

Marco

Many thanks for replying it is appreciated.

Yesterday morning I did indeed realise that the majority of the issues is because of the syntax, I have posted in LinkedIn, some of my binding was set to .value some to .Value.

I was re going through a video that you posted and noticed all your code was .Value so I changed all of my code and everything appears to be working, even the path definition, all down to a capital 'V'

So a big lesson has been learnt on my part and I am again hopeful that I can now continue to develop the Data Standards.

Thanks again for replying, I have no doubt I may call on your services again in the future.

Gareth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report