Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API To Copy and Recreate Vaults

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
btillman
274 Views, 2 Replies

API To Copy and Recreate Vaults

Just got Vault 2015 going with a very simple configuration for some initial testing. I'd like to copy the properties of some of these test vaults to a file, backup of some kind so they can be reproduced. Is that something the API would be good for or do I need to review how to do this using a backup from the client or server side?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
martin.weiss
in reply to: btillman

hi btillman,

you can do this by using vault api too. but why not using vault BCP ?

The data transfer utility is able to export a package of your vault that contains only the property definitions if you want.

Somtimes when I do the same thing like your (i mean when I configure a vault with props and categories and revision definitions), and I do different tests with this vault, I need to recreate a new one with the same configuration.

The simplest way for me, is to export first the original vault into a xml package that contains only the configuration I want.

Than I create a batch file where I run vaultbcp.exe with the params for importing this packages into a new vault.

After creating a new empty vault and can just execute the batchfile and the configuration is imported 🙂

Best Regards
Martin

coolOrange
www.coolorange.com
Message 3 of 3
minkd
in reply to: btillman

If you have Vault Workgroup or above, in ADMS-Console you can select a vault and use the "Export Configuration ..." button on the context menu, or on the Actions pulldown menu.

With the resulting configuration file, you can create a new vault with the same configuration, or you can import it into an existing vault.  An import will not overwrite anything that already exists - so if you intend to copy settings from vault to vault this way, it is probably best to make your own properties, lifecycles, categories, etc; rather than modify the out-of-the-box ones.

You can only use a configuration file with the same version of the server that it came from.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report