Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add files to Vault from local hard disc using the AddFile method

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
vampelas
1216 Views, 6 Replies

Add files to Vault from local hard disc using the AddFile method

Hi,

I was hoping I could ge some assistance with my code below - I am stuck on this and my programming knowledge is not that great to be honest. I am using Data Standard and the "createFolder.ps1" to produce a Standard Folder Structure when creating a new "Project" category folder.

I additionally want to add some files like word and excel documents to a particular folder after craetion. Folders are created fine and the categories assigned but I cannot get the AddFile method t produce any results in my Vault Explorer.

Please find code abstract below and resulting log - Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

$folder = $vault.DocumentService.GetFolderById($folderId)
    $path = $folder.FullName+"/"+$dialog.CurrentFolder.Name
    $subFolder = $vault.DocumentService.GetFolderByPath($path)
    $dsDiag.Trace("        subFolder:    " + $subFolder.Name)
    $categoryId = $vault.CategoryService.GetCategoriesByEntityClassId("Folder",$true)

$subFolder1 = $vault.DocumentServiceExtensions.AddFolderWithCategory("00-Bid Details and Project Briefing", $dialog.CurrentFolder.Id, $false, $categoryId[6].Id)
    #$subFolder1 = [Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Currency.Entities]::Folder
    $dsDiag.Trace("        subFolder1:    " + $subFolder1.Name)
    [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 2015\Explorer\Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.dll")
    $file = [Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Currency.Entities]::FileIteration
    $fileClassification = [Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileClassification.Source]::None
    # $fileAssociation = [Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileAssocParam]::None
    $fileFromDisk = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Currency.FilePathAbsolute "C:\Temp\Contact List.doc"
    $dsDiag.Trace("        fileFromDisk:    " + $fileFromDisk.FullPath)
    $file = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Services.Connection.FileManager.AddFile $subFolder1, "TEST", $null, $null, $fileClassification, $false, $fileFromDisk
    $dsDiag.Trace("     File Name:    " + $file.EntityName)

11:25:04:638: >>     GetParentFolderName
11:25:05:141: True
11:25:05:156:         subFolder:    642696 - sadas
11:25:05:196:         subFolder1:    00-Bid Details and Project Briefing
11:25:05:199:         fileFromDisk:    C:\Temp\Contact List.doc
11:25:05:201:      File Name:    
11:25:05:506: <<     CreateFolder PSI
11:25:05:507: ============Results================
11:25:05:507: Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault, Version=19.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa20f34aedd220e1
11:25:05:507: Autodesk.Connectivity.Explorer.Extensibility, Version=19.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa20f34aedd220e1
11:25:05:507: ===================================

Many thanks & regards, Vas

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
martin.weiss
in reply to: vampelas

Hi,

The following line is wrong:

$file = New-ObjectAutodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Services.Connection.FileManager.AddFile $subFolder1, "TEST", $null, $null,$fileClassification, $false, $fileFromDisk

AddFile is a method of the IFileManager interface. Therefore you have to call AddFile like this:

$file = $vaultConnection.FileManager.AddFile($subFolder1, "TEST", $null, $null,$fileClassification, $false, $fileFromDisk)

Best Regards
Martin

coolOrange
www.coolorange.com
Message 3 of 7
clastrilla
in reply to: martin.weiss

In looking for a way to upload files via powerShell, I've come across this post. Feels like I'm getting closer with this code:

$vaultFolder = $vault.DocumentService.FindFoldersByPaths("$/Resources")
$fileFromDisk = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Currency.FilePathAbsolute "C:\Temp\ExportedNumber.csv"
$fileClassification = New-Object Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileClassification

$addedFile = $vaultConnection.FileManager.AddFile($vaultFolder,"Added by powerShell", $null, $null, $fileClassification, $false, $fileFromDisk)
Show-Inspector

But I'm getting an error:

Cannot find an overload for "AddFile" and the argument count: "7".
At D:\CAL Data\CG Projects\powerShell\UploadingAFile.ps1:23 char:1
+ $addedFile = $vaultConnection.FileManager.AddFile($vaultFolder,"Added ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodCountCouldNotFindBest

I realise powerVault has Add-File commandlet, but trying to see how to do it just via powerShell.

Can't seem to figure it out - any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Message 4 of 7
Markus.Koechl
in reply to: clastrilla

The error that you are reporting typically comes from missing type definitions; Powershell does not enforce them, but Vault API cannot handle "PSObject" so you need to declare all input parameters that are not null. Unfortunately, I don't have a Powershell code for this at my fingertips. But you should be able to get the idea from a C# sample as well.

//add resulting export file to Vault if it doesn't exist, otherwise update the existing one

ACW.Folder mFolder = mWsMgr.DocumentService.FindFoldersByIds(new long[] { mFile.FolderId }).FirstOrDefault();
                    string vaultFilePath = System.IO.Path.Combine(mFolder.FullName, mExportFileInfo.Name).Replace("\\", "/");

ACW.File wsFile = mWsMgr.DocumentService.FindLatestFilesByPaths(new string[] { vaultFilePath }).First();
                    VDF.Currency.FilePathAbsolute vdfPath = new VDF.Currency.FilePathAbsolute(mExportFileInfo.FullName);
                    VDF.Vault.Currency.Entities.FileIteration vdfFile = null;
                    VDF.Vault.Currency.Entities.FileIteration addedFile = null;
                    VDF.Vault.Currency.Entities.FileIteration mUploadedFile = null;
                    if (wsFile == null || wsFile.Id < 0)
                    {
                        // add new file to Vault
                        mTrace.WriteLine("Job adds " + mExportFileInfo.Name + " as new file.");

if (mFolder == null || mFolder.Id == -1)
                            throw new Exception("Vault folder " + mFolder.FullName + " not found");

var folderEntity = new Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Currency.Entities.Folder(connection, mFolder);
                        try
                        {
                            addedFile = connection.FileManager.AddFile(folderEntity, "Created by Job Processor", null, null, ACW.FileClassification.DesignRepresentation, false, vdfPath);
                            mExpFile = addedFile;
                        }
                        catch (Exception ex)
                        {
                            throw new Exception("Job could not add export file " + vdfPath + "Exception: ", ex);
                        }

}
                    else
                    {

Markus Koechl

Solutions Engineer PDM, Autodesk Central Europe
Message 5 of 7
clastrilla
in reply to: Markus.Koechl

Thanks Markus. I've tried declaring the input parameters as below:

$vaultFolder = $vault.DocumentService.FindFoldersByPaths("$/Resources")
$folderEnt = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Currency.Entities.Folder($vaultConnection, $vaultFolder)
$fileFromDisk = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Currency.FilePathAbsolute "C:\Temp\ExportedNumber.csv"
$fileClassification = New-Object Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileClassification
$fileAssoc = New-Object Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileAssoc $null
$addedFile = $vaultConnection.FileManager.AddFile($folderEnt,"Added by powerShell", $fileAssoc, $null, $fileClassification, $false, $fileFromDisk)

As in your other post, you recommended that the $folderEnt should be wrapped in an iEntity folder object. I tried doing that but my $folderEnt is throwing a similar error:

New-Object : Cannot convert argument "1", with value: "Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.Folder[]", for "Folder" to type 
"Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.Folder": "Cannot convert the "Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.Folder[]" value of type 
"Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.Folder[]" to type "Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.Folder"."
At D:\CAL Data\CG Projects\powerShell\UploadingAFile.ps1:18 char:14
+ ... folderEnt = New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [New-Object], MethodException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConstructorInvokedThrowException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

I seem to be missing a beat (or more) here...

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 7
clastrilla

Fixed! A colleague of mine showed how to wrap it in an iEntity object:

$vFolderArr = $vault.DocumentService.FindFoldersByPaths("$/Resources")
$vaultFolder=New-Object Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Currency.Entities.Folder $vaultConnection, $vFolderArr[0]
$addedFile = $vaultConnection.FileManager.AddFile($vaultFolder,"Added by powerShell", $null, $null, [Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.FileClassification]::None, $false, $fileFromDisk)

It seems my syntax for the Folder constructor was incorrect, and I needed to pass the specific instance of the folder in the array. 

Message 7 of 7
bertha.rios

Hi, I know it's been a while since this post, I'm trying to do the same, add a file to vault using AddFile but I'm having a problem getting $vaultConnection. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report